- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Abyssinian Baptist Church
Abyssinian Baptist Church Review
This 1923 Gothic-style church holds one of Harlem's richest legacies, dating to 1808 when a group of parishioners defected from the segregated First Baptist Church of New York City and established the first African-American Baptist church in New York State. Among its legendary pastors was Adam Clayton Powell Jr., a powerful orator and civil rights leader and the first black U.S. congressman. Today sermons by Rev. Dr. Calvin O. Butts, III are fiery, and the several choirs are excellent. Dress your best, remember to not take pictures or videos, get there early—at least two hours ahead of time—and be prepared to wait in line outside (rain or shine).
- Address: 132 Odell Clark Pl. (W. 138th St.), between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd. and Lenox Ave. Harlem, New York, NY 10030 | Map It
- Phone: 212/862–7474
- Hours: Visitor services Wed. 7 pm and Sun. 11 am; no visitor services on major holidays.
- Website: www.abyssinian.org
- Subway: 2, 3 to 135th St.
- Location: Harlem
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Hi! Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more