Search

Taxi or Van from LaGuardia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi or Van from LaGuardia

Hi there -
Four sisters are going to NYC Nov 18 - 22.

Flying into LaGuardia at ~ 1pm Nov 18, wondering if it would be cheaper to split into 2 taxis or book a van from the airport to the hotel, which is at E 15th St just off Irving Place.
I've heard that it's not impossible for 4 people to take taxis in NYC, (do all 4 sit in back seat??) but with luggage I think it might be out of the question.

And this might be a really stupid question, but would a GPS work in Manhattan getting around on foot? (it has a pedestrian feature) Just wonder about getting a satellite with the tall buildings.

2 of us have been there before but weren't really gutsy to take transit, the cheapest way to get around!

Thanks!!
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM

One person would sit in the front seat. Some taxis are bigger than others--you could wait for one of the larger ones if you really have that much luggage. If the trunk of a normal sedan taxi were empty, 4 carry-on suitcases would fit. One taxi to that location would be about $25 on the meter plus toll and tip.

GPS on foot in Manhattan? Unless you're south of 14th St, the street plan is not that confusing. If it has a pedestrian setting, then, yes, I think it would work--GPS devices work in cars on the street.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:26 AM

Our family of four took a taxi from LaGuardia to midtown. We just waited for one of the bigger taxis (you'll see -- like a van or small SUV), and I sat in front. All the luggage, including two big suitcases, fit into the back. Shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy NYC!!

We didn't use a GPS, but it seems like one should work. Just get a good detailed map, and you will find your way fine.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM

NYC taxis all hold 4 people. One sits infront with the driver. (They won't give you trouble about that since there is an offical despatcher.)

I you have a moderate amount of luggage (no 28" cases) you will be fine in one cab. If you have 4 very large bags I would call a car service (Dial 7 or Carmel) and they will send a vehicle large enough. For 4 people it will still be cheaper than a shuttle.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Excellent!! Thank you all for the replies!! I think the luggage should be reasonable so we should be able to do the taxi!

Thanks again!
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM

No need for GPS as most normal guidebooks of NYC describe NYC quite perfectly. NYC is built like a grid and you'll know what we're speaking about when you grab a guidebook.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 05:55 PM

NYC is built like a grid

except, as ellenem said, below 14th St, where, for example,
W. 4th Street crosses W. 11th street - go figure.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 05:13 AM

If you have a smartphone (blackbery, iphone, etc) you can download the google map application which gives directions for walking, transit and driving. It works very well in the City.

Regarding the taxi, you can ask the dispatcher at the airport for a mini-van/SUV type taxi, you'll just have to wait on the side until one shows up in the taxi line. Those types of taxis should accommodate 4 people and their luggage and costs the same as a smaller taxi.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

K-brklyn -
Wow -- a minivan/SUV type taxi would cost the same? That's incredible. We can wait...no problem there!

Thanks for all the replies!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM

The "minivan/SUV type taxi" is not as huge as one you might find in suburbia. It will be an official NYC taxi, therefore bright yellow in color. Here's a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/2655129507/