Reload this Page >

luggage in taxi from LaGuardia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Pats

We're accompanying our daughter to college in NY this week - luggage will consist of 3 smaller suitcases, one large suitcase, three tote bags, maybe a duffle.

Will all this fit into a taxi?

If not, what would be the most pracical choice for airport to hotel transportation?

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Ted

NYC taxis tend to have huge trunks, so I wouldn't worry. Worst case scenario, you hold some smaller bags on your laps. Good luck & Enjoy!

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Sue

It may be worth booking a limo. Not sure which airport you are flying into, but there is a fixed price for taxis from JKF to Manhattan of $35 plus tolls and tip. Except in rush hour, you can probably get a limo for about the same, and it's likely to be bigger (and possibly a more pleasant drive than with a grill in front of your face between you and the driver.

We were in NYC last weekend and took a taxi from the airport, but a limo back. It was well worth a few extra dollars. We used Lincoln Limo Service, 800 728 2838 or 212 666 5050, the car was large and clean, and the driver was friendly and helpful.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Yvette

Please read the title. Flying into LGA. Ted is right -- you should be fine with a cab.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Sue

Sorry, I should have spotted the title. (We can't all be perfect all the time, although some people on this forum seem to think we should be.)

However, I still disagree. With a taxi you will all three have to sit in the back, which will be a bit cramped. The driver may not be helpful - ours didn't even get out to help with luggage at either end of the trip. And the only time he spoke was to ask for the toll money.

The limo will mean one of you can sit in the front, leaving far more space for the others. All the luggae will definitely fit in the tunk. Also, any limo driver will help with luggage, and you may even get a bit of pleasant and interesting conversation.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Andy

Pats-- SUE is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT--

A LIMO SERVICE does NOT mean a limosine-it is usually a Lincoln TOWN Car with a large trunk and a FRIENDLY KNOWLEDGABLE driver who will not rip you off...

We use car services EVERY TIME we fly into LGA or JFK--

Taxi drivers at the airport are rude, the cabs are FILTHY and the trunks are NOT huge.

WE have been flying into NY for 28 years and ALWAYS use a CAR SERVICE- which in NY is called a LIMO SERVICE...Call the one that Sue recommended.... or you can called the Queens NY directory and ask for one called COMPUTER CAR- that is the one we use all the time- I just forgot the 800 number......

Good luck

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:03 AM
suzanne

Huh?

People here are just plain wrong. You don't have to squish 3 people into the back seat of the taxi - one of you can certainly sit up front. Done it thousands of times. There's no need to get a car service.

The car services ("limos") tend to be Lincoln Town Cars or something similar, and are no cleaner or nicer-smelling or even particularly larger than your average cab.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:25 AM
GH

Most car service trunks are SMALLER than the very large taxi trunks. Don't be a sucker -- take a cab like every New Yorker.

Of course one person can sit up front, no reason to fit three in the backseat. I also do it all the time. Get a clue people!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Sue

Yes, you can sit in the front, and then you're the wrong side of the grille so you can't really hold a sensible conversation.

Everyone's choice will be different, but for my money an extra 3 or 4 dollars is worth it - I've never been in a dirty limo, but I have been in a dirty taxi.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Andy

Pats- I have NEVER had a dirty limo or a smelly driver- they always wear suits and are extremely nice---

ALSO the TAXIS have a very SHORT back seat that is IMMOVABLE-it is very uncomfortable unless you are a midget-
Unless you get an OLD FASHIONED CHECKER CAB, most taxi drivers will tie down the trunk with CORDING!!! I had this happen to me so many times, that I gave up and began using car services-

THE CAR SERVICES, LIKE SUE SAID, are worth the extra few bucks===

I do NOT know what time your flight is arriving, but if you are in RUSH HOUR traffic, do you really want to sit with a piece of luggage on your lap for OVER 40 min.--- I know I don't---

PLUS- the car services meet you as you come down to baggage with your name on a card-- YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STAND IN LINE IN A QUE with a ton of people waiting for a cab---

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:56 PM
A

Andy in his post stated "PLUS- the car services meet you as you come down to baggage with your name on a card". What he didn't tell you is that you will have to pay the cost of parking the vehicle when he goes to meet you.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 05:43 PM
suzanne

...and also pay for the wait time while you are getting your luggage or if your flight is delayed.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Ted

Jeez, I can't believe this thread. Patsy, take a taxi. No big deal.

Yes, it costs extra $$$ for the car service to park and for the driver to stand there with your name on a card. To get the best car service price, which is still higher than a cab, you must call upon arrival and WAIT for the car to get to you. My experience: 5-30 minutes, depending on time of day. Meanwhile, you could have hopped in a cab and arrived in Manhattan.
Good grief!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:58 AM
s

Ted, what is the problem. PATS has not responded to any of the posts indicating what she intends to do so there is no reason others shouldn't weigh in with their opinion. I am sure she will use a taxi once she reads all the posts.