Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle (Labor Day) ,Can we make it to BC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:57 AM
jodi

We are landing In SEATAC on Friday 8/30 at noon. Want to see Seattle and would love to know if we have time for Victoria or Vancouver? Being a holiday weekend, I read that border crossings can eat up the time. Is the ferry to Victoria a safer bet? Are the San Juan islands a must see? We love charming restaurants (with great food,of course!) walking the towns, scenic drives,and taking it easy. We depart SEATAC at noon on Tues.9/3. Only 4 days with a car.Thanks for your help!!!
These boards are great

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:30 AM
John

It's without a doubt the busiest weekend of the year. In Seattle, the great Bumbershoot arts festival attracts a couple hundred thousand people (http://bumbershoot.org) while in Vancouver there are numerous events etc. although they've moved the Indy car race to July, thankfully).

Victoria is a possibility, best done without your car - take the Victoria Clipper, or, better and not a lot more expensive, a float plane from Seattle's Lake Union to the Inner Harbour - saves around 5 hours for a day trip.

I would not take the car over the border unless you can justify spending an awful lot of time waiting in lines with limited facilities, if you get my meaning. Vancouver is worth more than the superficial time you'd be able to give it, while the same time could be profitably spent in Seattle or nearby points.

Search this forum for many, many good ideas about what to see and do around Seattle, restaurants and all.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Jim

I pretty much agree with John. Going to the San Juan Islands involves taking a ferry, and there are long lines at ferry terminals this time of year. If you want to go to Canada, despite the border problems, it is much easier to go to Vancouver than Victoria (which always requires a ferry of some sort if you don't take a plane). However, if you like to "take it easy" maybe you should just hang out at Bumbershoot and check out our great restaurants.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Michele

As much as I love visiting Canada, I'd have to recommend that you don't try getting up to either Victoria OR Vancouver on Labor Day Weekend. Instead, I'm saying "ditto" to the above posts: don't set yourself up for aggravation ... stay in the Seattle area ... enjoy fabulous walks (Volunteer Park, Myrtle Edwards Park, Arboretum, Alki, etc) and restaurants ... take a trip on a Washington State Ferry (but don't try to take your car -- again, long lines during holiday weekends) to Bainbridge Island ... pop in to the Bumbershoot festival ... maybe take a drive on Sunday (least traffic) ... And, plan to come back for a longer stay! There's so much fun to be had seeing things outside the city IF you're not trying to muddle through traffic on a big holiday weekend! Have fun!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:03 PM
Paula

Jodi,
There are so many wonderful places to see in Seattle itself and nearby day trips, that I'm sure you can have a great vacation without going to BC.

For daytrips, I'd suggest Mt. Rainer, Stevens Pass (the town of Index), or Snoqualmie Falls where you can have dinner at the Salish Lodge (I'd get reservations for that weekend--425-888-2556). While the food at the Lodge is aa bit overpriced, the view is incredible.

Check out guidebooks and Seattle Best Places.

Have a great time (and think sun!)

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Jodi

Thanks to all for your info...we actually added a day to our trip and will probably try at least on of the locations I mentioned. Not sure which one to try? I know we will have a great time!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:17 AM
jabez

All good advice,let me add my two cents.
If you have not "done" the harbor area of SEA,it's a must and that affects your time.I have done the other suggestions (except the festival) and found them very nice as well.
If you want Victoria and the San Juan's,it is doable-IF you can get quality reservations at Inns and on the ferrys.
If you arrived aerlier Friday ,you would have a better chance to make this work. The 2pm ferry from Anacortes does take reservations,but you could not make it on time. You could start Friday by heading to Whidby Island (if you can get good rooms). Get a reservation to Victoria on the Sat. 8:15 am ferry. You could spend the day and night there. You could reserve the 6pm ferry to San Juan and spend the night there and ferry back towards Sea. on Mon.
Personally, and as one who tried too much on my recent trip,I'd consider this:
Friday I'd go to Whidby Isl.I think that you would love Langley and some of the other towns. Ferry the next day to Port Townsend.Enjoy the town and then try and stay close to Port Angeles. Much to see close by. Go to SEA Monday. You could stay near the harbor and easily make your plane on Tues. You could consider the Vicoria (walk on) option from Port Angeles,if nature isn't as important as neat towns and shopping.
Parts of this we just did. I'll try and finish my trip report and see if it helps.