New York City - Kid Hating Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know a hotel where I can book a room with 2 double beds for a family of 4? My husband is attending a conference at the Javits Convention Center. Just about every hotel I have looked at in that area only guarantees room for 2 adults. We'd like to take the kids, but at 15 and 13, they are too big to sleep with us! HELP!
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
dmlove

Most hotel rooms in NYC in fact only have one bed. However, there are some with two, such as the Courtyards (there are several, not really close to Javits, but not far either), and the suite hotels (Doubletree Times Square, Affinias, etc.). Not sure there are any hotels in the specific neighborhood of the Javits Convention Center, which is way over between 11th and 12th avenues.

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Don't rule out other areas. That's what the subway is for!

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
TC

Do a search on Expedia or the like for hotels. They usually always return information on King bedded rooms, but at the bottom there is a tab that will say something like "other room types available". If you click on that, you will find rooms with two beds listed. They are always more expensive. I just went through this to share with a girlfriend on a trip to NY. Be aware though, that even rooms with two beds will be small and the beds are usually very small. We stayed at The Muse on 46th Street in a two bedded room, but I can't imagine two people sharing the bed I was in. It was quite comfortable for one, but would have been pretty snug for two. Some hotels in NY list "two beds", but they will actually be single (twin) beds. So do ask before booking. I know that the Doubletree on Broadway has two bedded rooms and the sofa makes into a bed as well. Also the Sheratons have two bedded rooms. You might consider connecting rooms at a hotel, one king, one with two beds. Then you have two baths also.

Good luck.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

We aren't opposed to other areas, but we really don't know a thing about New York. We'd welcome a recommendation for a kid-friendly hotel anywhere that is relatively safe and close to the subway!
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM

I've never had a problem getting a room with 2 beds at the Marriott Downtown (f/k/a Marriott Financial Center) on West St. About 5 min walk to subway. Kid friendly.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 10:59 AM

When I stayed at the Affinia Dumont, the double bedded rooms had 2 queens. However, when I stayed at the Millennium Hilton, the "double beds" in the room with 2 beds were actually more like large twin beds - sounds like TC had the same experience at The Muse. You could share the bed, but it would be mighty cozy. I think that Courtyards have 2 queens as well.

Good luck!

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:07 AM

Most of the hotel chains' websites are pretty good about letting you be very specific about room type (to make sure you have 2 doubles or 2 queens, etc.). I know at least www.hilton.com (Hilton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, etc.) is specific with room type and will show the location of all hotels on a map (select "more search options" and then "display results on a map"). Most other chains (Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc.) are pretty similar. Unless you're arriving late at night, it's unlikely you would have a problem getting the room type you reserved/confirmed (and even late at night most major hotels are pretty good holding the room type - especially if you emphasize it in the comments on your reservation).
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
dmlove

The Courtyard Marriott Midtown East has 2-queen-bed plus sofabed rooms. The rooms are huge by NYC standards. Very kid-friendly. Not the most convenient for the Javits, but there is a subway right outside (which would involve a transfer).

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM

I have never been to New York so not sure on the area, but I just booked Red Roof Inn near the Empire State buiiding for 2 adults 1 child. Worth a try if it is in the neighbourhood you are looking for.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM

The New York Hilton, Sheraton Towers, NY Sheration, Park Central, Omni Berkshire, Marriott, Westin, all have rooms with 2 doubles. You just have to make a specific request for 4 people in the room and expect to pay a little more.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM

The Travel Inn (42nd between 10th/11th) has double doubles and you can book a room for 2 adults/2 kids online. It's 3 blocks west of Times Square, 2 blocks west of a subway station, and right on the #42 bus route. They offer free parking (if that matters to you).

It's only a 5-10 minute walk from the Javits Center, and there are plenty of nearby restaurants, a Starbucks, etc.

We've stayed there many times. Nothing fancy, but nice enough. Great outdoor pool, too.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
lvk

Most of the Affinia properties www.affinia.com have pretty spacious and reasonably priced rooms/suites for NYC.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Another vote for Affinia hotels. This is a group of moderately pticed, generally well-regarded hotels that have all sorts of room and suite configurations to fit almost every family need.

But - you do need to realize that in NYC your kids (12 and up) are considered adults - so you need to ask for a room for 4 adults - not 2 adults and 2 kids. (Double check with the hotel of course - but 12 is usually an adult.)
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 10:29 AM

As others have said, there are plenty of hotels with rooms with 2 double beds, but at ages 13 & 15, it sounds like you really need 3 beds. One option for the Javits Center is staying at the Sheraton on the Hudson in Weehawken, NJ. They have some family suites. During the week you can take a ferry right in front of the hotel and land in Manhattan quite near the Javits Center. The ferry is not inexpensive though.
nywaterway.com
It's not nearly as much fun as staying in Manhattan, but it's not a bad option if you're on a budget and want to be close to Javits.

The Affinia Manhattan and Affinia Dumont are suite hotels not too far from Javits in Manhattan.

The Metro hotel has a family suite with 3 beds.
http://www.hotelmetronyc.com/default...ons&rp=gallery

The Embassy Suites in Manhattan is very family friendly and includes full cooked breakfast in the price but is not the most convenient to Javits being all the way downtown.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Times Square North last summer with our 2 kids. It is at 8th and 51st close to Times Square but not in it. It was a great location near the subway and walkable to lots of things. The free breakfast really saved some money.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 12:04 PM

We've stayed at the Doubletree at Times Square with 2 kids. Not terribly convenient for your husband but good spot for your teens.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM

We stayed at The Holiday Inn on 440 West 57th street, with our 14 year old, and the room had two double beds, and also an outdoor rooftop pool which we all enjoyed, for a long week-end.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Le Parket Meridien is kid friendly on 57th, stayed there last yr with my two kids and had a huge room.