New York hotels - are there deals to be had

Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

New York hotels - are there deals to be had

My family (parents and two young adults) is going to New York for a weekend March 18 to 21. There will be four of us so we need a room with two beds. I'm looking for a hotel that is a good value for the money and we are flexible, within reason, about location. Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels with relatively spacious ( for New York) rooms for four or booking services that deliver value for the money ( I usually book through Travelocity - are other services any better?). Ideally, we would stay someplace from Midtown, or lower Manhattan.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance, everyone.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM

Try a one bedroom suite at The Beacon Hotel, upper west side neighborhood. Great prices. Newly renovated.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM

Please tell us your budget, the amount of money you are hoping to pay. Your idea of reasonable may not be ours.

A room with two beds can be tricky to find in NYC since rooms are small in general. Park South Hotel has such rooms, but the beds are double beds rather than queen-size.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM

I've heard good things about the Beacon. We stayed at the Salisbury which is not a deluxe hotel but served us well. This is an older property that is a converted apartment building. Our room had a separate bedroom and living room area with 2 double or queen (can't remember) beds in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the living area. The bathroom was newly renovated and there was a small kitchenette. It was well located between lots of theatres and Central Park and near several subway stops.
Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM

I stayed with a group of friends at the Courtyard by Marriott Midtown East two weeks ago. Very spacious rooms with two queen sized beds and a sleep sofa. And a good location at Third Avenue and 53rd Street.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 02:26 AM

Many hotels in Manhattan offer double double rooms that are not necessarily suites (which will be more expensive).

Unfortunately you have left it rather late - and a couple of reasonable hotels I would reco are already fully booked.

Have a look at Travelzoo to see what deals they are offering - you can find specific hotels so you will be able to get info about room size.

Also - it will help if you define "reasonable" - which can mean different things to different people.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:18 AM

Agree that reasonable is a relative term.

By chance you define reasonable as less than $190 per night and can't find something in Manhattan for that, it looks like you can get something at either the DoubleTree or Courtyard by Marriott in Jersey City for $189 or below.

Easy access to either Downtown or the West Side of Manhattan by the PATH train.

Positives and negatives of staying on the NJ side of the Hudson. I mention this as an option if price is well below what you can find for something comparable in Manhattan.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:36 AM

Yes there are

www.betterbidding.com seach "New York"

MidTown 4* like Hyatt Hilton from $110/nt bidding priceline

Always what I do get great cheap stuff even upgrades

as a rewards hotel member.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:41 AM

4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt - $110

4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt - $105

3.5* NYC (MTE) Roosevelt Hotel - $90

recent wins bidding priceline through sites above...
Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:41 AM

I can second the vote for Courtyard Manhattan East. Huge rooms for NYC, lot of room for 4 people to spread out. Good location for subway access and midtown. Two queen bed rm. at the AAA rate for that weekend is $319 a night.

There were good deals a few months ago to be had for that period in March. I am staying at the New Yorker Hotel in a double queen bed room for $175 a night that week including all taxes and fees. But I booked that in mid-December. It is too late for deals like that now, prices are up. That is a big week in March w/the St. Patrick's day parade, etc.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:34 AM

I third the vote for the Courtyard Midtown East. Some of the rooms have a king bed and sofabed, and others have two queens and a sofabed. Huge for Manhattan. We also really like the location.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:07 AM

You can't bi d Priceline for 4 people - since there is no guarantee you won;t get a room with 1 double bed. They may or may not have a larger room available if you turn up and may or many not (likely may) charge you the going rate for it.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I booked a room at the Marriott Midtown East today - one king bed and one sofa bed for $229 on the Marriott website. Most nights there will only be three people - and I figure one night two people can sleep on the sofa bed. Since its refundable I'll try to check some last minute booking sites to see if there are any last minute deals anywhere.
Feb 24th, 2011, 11:38 AM

That's fine I'm sure, but you do realize that all of us who commented on it were referring to the Courtyard Midtown East and not the Marriott Midtown East?
Feb 28th, 2011, 04:35 AM

Keep checking quikbook and kayak.com too for discounts.

You can view photos of both the Courtyard Midtown East and Marriott Midtown East on Trip Advisor's hotel review section. You can read the reviews with an open mind, I suppose, but a picture is worth a thousand words over there.