5 girls one room New york?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 of us are staying in new york Aug 11-15. Any suggestions for Hotel rooms or suites that can accomodate all of us. Have rooms 2 rooms at the Iroquois but thinking of cancelling because the bathrooms look small. It wud be mor fun to be all together. Any suggestions would be great. Can get a 2rm suite at the doubletree but it only has 1 bathroom. Hope you can help.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM

1 bathrooms ÷ 5 girls = disaster.

I would think you wouldn't have too much trouble getting 2 adjoining rooms with a connecting door that would give you 2 bathrooms.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Very few hotels will put 5 people in one room (no way to fit the beds if not against the fire laws). To stay all together (which IMHO is nuts - 5 women and one bath - did 6 with 2 baths in college and swore never again) you will have to get a suite.

Best bet is the moderate affinia group of all suite hotels but don;t know if they will have room or if it will fit your buget. (Just checked - the lowest they are showing for a 1-bedroom suite is over $500 per night for those days.)

You could also try embassy suites downtown which sometimes has good weekend rates since the area is really for business.

You might try the applecore group of budget hotels - which get decent reviews - but don;t know if they have anything available that will take 5.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I will nix the staying in one room idea. We will have to stick with the original plan, 2 in one room and 3 in the other. Have you heard much about the Iroquois? It looks nice and is in a great location.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Not being a woman this might be useless but...

I would think that 2 small bathrooms for 5 women would be better than 1 big bathroom at another hotel.

I take 5 minutes to get ready so my opinion may not be worth anything .

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

saps you are so right. I just thought staing together would be fun if we could get 2 bathrooms.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:15 PM

A single two-bathroom room (suite) or apartment can be so expensive in NYC that you would probably be better off price-wise (considerably so) to get two hotel rooms. As said, check with the hotel to see if you can get rooms with a door connecting them.

I'm not personally familiar with the Iroquois, but it gets good reviews at tripadvisor and has an excellent location!

Reviews: http://tinyurl.com/mzpaz
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:47 PM

The location of the Iroquois is terrific. Times Square is a block and a half west, 5th Ave is a block east, but the street is very quiet. In the same block, check out Gaby's (restaurant and bar) at the Sofitel. The lobby lounge at the Algonquin is wonderful for light bites (bar is nice too). Also in the same block is the Red Flame, a quintessential New York "coffee shop" with wonderful (cheap, too) breakfasts. For a really nice breakfast, Gaby's and the Round Table Room at the Algonquin are fabulous.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 09:28 PM

According to the Fodorites who should know, the Righa Royal is undergoing major remodeling and is a mess. However, I would call them and ask just how bad it is for the guests - (would they be honest? because the suite we stayed in last november had plenty of room for 5 women - and it had one and a half baths - ...and I mean GENEROUS rooms in every way. They have "cots" that they bring in which are more comfy than most beds, as well as two doubles or queens, and a sofabed. And both rooms were huge.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Your suggestions are so helpful. We will definately check out gabys and the other places mentioned. I will call the rhiga. Was it a 1 bedroom suite that you stayed in? Im not sure of the location but I will look it up. THANKS!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Have you looked into the Doubletree Suites? http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hote...tyhocn=LGASFDT
You can reserve a suite with a huge bathroom, two sinks, lots of mirrors, dbl/dbl beds and a sofabed in the living room.

Cabo - LOL! Give the Righa suggestions a break until the fall...they're still in MAJOR renovations.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:49 PM

When I say "looked into" the Doubletree Suites, I mean really looked into it. If you can get along fine and deal with a very large bathroom, you will be fine.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Tess, I know. I promised! and I forgot. I was hoping they would offer me part ownership....
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:43 PM
sistahlou

Curious about Rhiga comments. I have stayed there twice in the past year during renovations, since it is a good deal, and I love the suites.....as "a fodorite in the know", I have never experienced it "as a mess" However, from the website, I think I will be mourning the old Rhiga to this new version. The pictures of the London rooms make me sad. That said, littleprince, if you can book Rhiga, do it! Get adjoing suites!!! The staff is very accomadating!

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Hopeless, hopeless...it's a mess, noisy, no hot food for room service, the new chef wants a new kitchen. Give a rest you guys. Is the Righa paying you to post?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

I guess I don't have to worry about the righa because they have no rooms available. Looks like a nice place though. I looked at the doubletree. There is a 2room non smoking suite with a city view available. The bathroom with it's two sinks looks good. And I can't tell from the picture if the vanity outside the bathroom has one or two sinks. I like the idea of having a sitting room and the view, but I don't know if we all want to share 1 bathroom. Most of us have never been to New York before and we are actually surprising my sister with this trip for her 40th birthday. I don't want to screw this up. I emailed the Iroquois and asked if we could possibly have adjoining rooms. Reservations was closed today. Thanks again for posting your comments.

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:01 PM
sistahlou

I am sure that when you call and ask for the front desk manager and explain that this is a very special trip for you, he/she will make sure to put you in adjoining rooms! Have a blast!