New York Hotel with a family room

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi We are coming over to NY at the end of June next year. Can any one please recomend a reasonably priced hotel in the Times Square area that would have a family room for 2 adults and 2 kids for one nite.

Many thanks

Allan
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM

"Reasonably priced" is a relative term. Can you be more specific about your budget?
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Would hope $200-300 dollars would cover it but I could be wide of the mark.

Thanks
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM

You need to get a double double room (2 double beds) - not a family room - which is a european term. If 2 doubles won;t work for you and you need 3 beds you will have to get a suite of some variety (with 2 doubles in the bedroom and a sleep sofa in the LR).

It's hard to know who will have deals this far out - so I would reco shopping the hotel web sites to see what sort of a deal you can find and reserve something cancelable now. Then, about 3 months out you can look at Travelzoo, Kayak or similar and see what deals there are.

If you need a suite I would look at Radio City apartments (great central location) as well as the Beacon uptown which has some suites. the affinia group are well-regarded moderately priced hotels with a host of different room configuraions. But I don;t know if they would have anything for $300. And you need to remember that there is 18% tax on top of the rates you will be quoted.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM

You might look into the Salisbury Hotel on 57th St.
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 05:05 AM

Yes, I think the Salisbury and Radio City Apartments are likely the only places in your price range for suites. Just remember that many NYC hotel rooms are small, so any hotel that has 2 double beds (and there are several) might do in a pinch, but a real suite might give you some cooking facilities and a little more room to spread out (but many so-called "suites" just have a small sofa).

Check prices at the Affinia Dumont (but you have to get a 1-bedroom suite there, not a studio, which usually has only one bed).
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM

Not by any mean a luxury hotel, but the Edison hotel does have what they refer to as a Combo Room, that type of room has 2 bedrooms; one with 1 double bed and the other with 2 single beds. I don't know what the rate would be for June 2010, but friends of ours booked for $265 summer 2009. They found they got a better rate when they telephoned the hotel directly that just relying on the website. Not as modern as the Affinia properties, but on par with Radio City Apartments – can’t compare to Salisbury as we have not stayed there! 228 W.47TH street, bewteen 8th & Broadway http://www.edisonhotelnyc.com
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
nlg

Doubletree Suites in Time Square
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 04:42 PM

When in NYC, we like to stay at the Benjamin..it has a living room and kitchenette with a separate bedroom and bath.
It's across from the Waldorf in Midtown..the studio always picks up the tab but I have seen it in the $300+ range.
The pillow concierge is a lovely thing and they allow you to bring your pet which we normally do.
Try direct or expedia.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM

As others have said, it really depends on how many beds you need. There are lots of hotels with 2 double beds, a few with 2 queen beds (Hotel at Times Square, Hampton Inn Times Square North, Hilton Garden Inn Times Square) and then there are suite hotels with 1 or 2 beds in the bedroom and a sofabed in the living room like Radio City apartments, the Salisbury, Doubletree Guest Suites.