Search

Accommodations for family of 5 in New York City

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accommodations for family of 5 in New York City

Help!!
Where can a family of 5 (2 parents and 3 young adult children) stay in New York. Is it even possible? Everything I see has a maximum of 4 per room. Can anyone give me help with this. We don't care if one person sleeps on the floor as long as they allow all 5 in one room. Thanks for any help you can give.
We would really like to be in the city in a good family location. And,of course, we don't have an unlimited budget either.
Thank you.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:17 AM
GoTravel

The Salisbury Hotel
(http://www.nycsalisbury.com/)

Any of the Affina properties (www.Affina.com)

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Embassy suites may be another option.

And Radio City Suites - though very basic - does have some facilities that would hold 5.

Hotels won;t let you sleep on the floor and most rooms have a max limit of 4 due to fire laws as well.

You just need to go for one of the all suite hotels - where you can get two beds in the bedroom and a sofabed in the living room.

Why not try Quikbook, travelocity etc - and see which hotels come up as availability for 5 - then go to the hotels directly to try to get a better price.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:24 AM

CHeck affinia.com. Most of their hotels have roomy suites ,with kitchen. I know they have 1 bedrooms in the SHelbourne hotel with 2 queen or double beds in the bedroom and a pullout sofa. They also may be able to provide a rollaway.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM

teddysmom,

A 2 bedroom suite at the Best Western Hospitality House on E49 St. would suit you;

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ode=33114#null

My trip report contains more detailed information;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34778469

Jim
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Another possibility is the Murray Hill East suites, which are very basic but have full kitchens.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Although I haven't stayed there the Sheraton Suites across the river are said to be a good deal. I've seen the place when we take the ferry, it doesn't look bad, nice view of manhattan.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I love the Best Western Hospitality House on E. 49th. The apartments are HUGE with full kitchens, full dining room tables, and large living rooms.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Check out the Doubletree Suite Hotel in Times Square. Very secure, LARGE rooms, no problem with 5 (you'll need a cot too - but there's plenty of spce). Not everybody likes staying in Times Square, but,hey, if you're a tourist - and especially with kids - it works just fine.

http://www.doubletree.com/en/dt/hote...tyhocn=LGASFDT

Have a great time.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM

^^ OK, I have not been to this hotel in awhile, and I just went to their web site and put in 2 adults and 3 kids for random Februray dates and all it came up with were rooms over $1,000/night. So, nevermind. It is certainly not worth anything near that.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Yes, a room for 5 gives rates of $1000- 1200. But putting in just two or three adults gives rates in the low- to mid-$300s! The key is that the 5-person accommodations are two-bedroom suites. Looks like it would be cheaper to rent two 2-bed regular rooms at this hotel, and possibly elsewhere.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 08:51 AM
MaureenB

We are a family of four who just stayed in a one bedroom suite at the Embassy Suites, downtown NYC. We had two double beds in the bedroom, one bathroom, and a pullout sofa in the living room (queen or double). For mid-October, it was just $289/night, which was by far the least expensive rate I found (on Expedia).

We had a small front room, with a large table, so not much floor space to put a child. But if two kids can share a double bed, you'd have enough room. It has a small microwave and sink, plus an honor bar frig.

I'd call the hotel and ask them about having three young children in the room. I'll bet it's fine. They cater to families on weekends. A big bonus of the Embassy Suites is the complimentary full breakfast buffet, which includes scrambled eggs, meats, pastries, fruit, yoghurt, pancakes, cereal, made-to-order omelettes, etc. They also have the evening reception that's complimentary, around 5p-7p or so, but we never returned for that. I think it's plenty of hot and cold hors d'ouevres, plus drinks included. The one we attended in Denver was enough even for a kid's dinner.

The hotel is quite large, and I doubt if they're counting heads as you go to and from your room. Our room could have used a face-lift, so maybe ask if some are newly redecorated.

I'd also check the Affinia all-suites hotels. They have a great reputation at all their properties. We had a two-bedroom, two-bath suite at the Affinia Gardens on the upper east side, last May. But one night was over $600. It allowed 6 people, and was very nice.

Good luck.
>-

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:38 AM

We stayed here once and our room was huge.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/hotelinfo.cfm?id=17531

They upgraded us and our room had a walk in closet and a full kitchen. It had plenty of room, maybe 600 square feet? Location was great too, walking distance to theater district. Also had a free continental breakfast in the morning. This was about six years ago...so, hoping its the same.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM

I think the Carnegie Suites has gotten really expensive.