Inter-connecting Rooms in a Good 4* Hotel in New York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to visit New York (from Australia) and would appreciate any advice on 4* hotels that have inter-connecting rooms. There will be myself and husband (in a queen/king room) and our children (a boy 13 and a girl 9)who will need a twin room inter-connecting). I just don't see them sleeping in a bed together (it was fine when they were younger but 'adolescence' views has become rife!)and therefore a bedroom suite (even a two bedroom suite) will not be suitable as the beds seem to be only 1 queen/king and the sofa be queen/king. Many thanks for your ideas (found Fodorites comments valuable for our trip to England a few years ago).
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 03:37 AM

I think most 4* properties would have rooms that connect. If you provide a budget that would help with specific recos. Also, depending on how long you're staying, an apartment might also be a possibility. I also think some 2 bedroom 2 bath suites would have a second bedroom with twin beds. The Salisbury is NOT a 4* property (it doesn't have a restaurant but they do serve breakfast) that has 2 bed/2 bath suites and I'm pretty sure the 2nd bedroom has twin beds. It's very centrally located on west 57 st. (midtown) and rooms are evidently huge. But it's not glamorous. This setup would give you much more space than 2 connecting rooms. You'd have the 2 bedrooms and baths plus a sitting room.

Le Parker Meridien is a 4* on 58 st. They have a rooftop pool (not usual) and 2 good casual restaurants along with modern decor. I'm sure they would have connecting rooms.

Post back with some more details and we can offer more suggestions.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 04:17 AM

I can't imagine a 4star hotel NOT having interconnecting rooms.

But, be sure to book directly with the hotel and make your request at the time of the reservation. If they say they can't guarantee those accomodations, then don't book.

Don't try to use a 3rd party vendor such as Priceline or Hotwire, etc. for such a request.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Check www.affinia.com.

This company owns several all-suite hotels around Manhattan that get consistent high marks on tripadivsor.com. Most of their properties have 1-brm suites w/ 2 queen beds and sofa bed. Some also have 2 brm suites, which, though a bit more expensive, would be comparable to paying for 2 hotel rooms.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. We will be staying 7 nights in New York. As we have had some 'forgetable' stays in 3* accommodation we thought that at least a 4* would be better. Have been looking at 70 Park Avenue Hotel, The Westin New York at Times Square, Millennium Hotel Broadway, Intercontinental The Barclay and Sofitel. With most of these hotels we would be able to book through Qantas Holidays at a special price - but I have taken note of your comment about it being better to book directly with the hotel as we are so particular about the rooms but I would be concerned about it costing much more than through Qantas, Expedia, etc.
Thanks again
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 01:40 AM

Of the hotels you mention, imo Sofitel is probably the best both location wise and hotel itself. My second choice would be the Barclay. Do you know about tripadvisor.com for reviews? The Westin Times Square had been getting some rather mixed reviews lately.

If you're worried about price with or w/o Quantas, you should do your homework and then decide.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM
TC

We really like the Renaissance Times Square. The rooms are quite big and so are the baths. The adjoining rooms are spacious then with one king room and two double beds in the other and two baths to share. The location is excellent for theater and has access to several subway lines within just a few blocks for easy travel around the city. Good family restaurants all around.