Search

Marriott, Sofitel or Hilton in BA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marriott, Sofitel or Hilton in BA?

Buenos Aires chain hotels...
I am able to get a discounted rate at any of these. For amenities, location, etc., which of these do your recommend. Are thet in/near Recoleta, Palermo? Our trip will be very short so we want to be near the mani sites, but NOT on a huge main street (like 9 Jul)-- I can't tell from the websites exactly where these are. Thanks!!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:09 AM

None of these hotels are in Recoleta or Palermo. The Sofitel is in Retiro, the Marriott is on Plaza San Martin and the Hilton is in Puerto Madero.

The Sofitel is the hands down winner from among these three, based on quality of the hotel, a quiet location and closer proximity to REcoleta and Palermo than either of the other hotels.

The Hilton is also a very nice hotel, but Puerto Madero is further afield .

The Marriott has some nice rooms, and some that are in need of refurbishing.
The location is much busier, in terms of both foot and car traffic than the Sofitel.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:20 AM

isnt there a sofitel in madero as well?
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 05:24 AM

Thanks, I should have clarified...

You are referring to the Sofitel Hotel Madero....Brand new and very nice, although the Sofitel in Retiro is nicer as well as being closer to Recoleta and Palermo.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Just returned from BA...SAW THE MARRIOTT...IT'S DARK, DINGY, BUT I GUESS YOU COULD CHARACTERIZE IT AS OLD WORLD GRAND? IT IS CLOSE TO FLORIDA AVENUE...LOTS OF CRAZY SHOPPING WITH HORDES OF PEOPLE, NOT TO MY TASTE. THE HILTON HAS A BEAUTIFULLY SCENIC LOCATION ON THE RIVER OVERLOOKING THE LATEST AREA TO DEVELOP IN BA THE PUERO MADERO. IT IS A STUNNING MODERN HOTEL...LOTS OF ACCESS TO MANY CAFES OF PORTE MADERO FOR YOUR EVENINGS. THE SOFITEL IS ON ONE OF THE LOVELIEST STREETS IN BUENOS AIRES, AND IT FITS IN BEAUTIFULLY. I RECOMMEND IT VERY HIGHLY FOR DINNER IF YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING SPECIAL ONE EVENING...VERY ELEGANT FOR ONE-QUARTER OF THE COST OF WHAT IT WOULD COST IN THE STATES.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:25 AM

The Sheraton near Plaza San Martin is a very upscale hotel. The location is just a few blocks from the Mariott.
I have stayed there a couple of times and find it to be excellent.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

parzmom: which sofitel are you talking about? thanks!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:05 AM

He must be talking about the Sofitel in Retiro, based on description alone....Le Sud is the restaurant, a little pricey by BA standards, but an excellent place to dine.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

me again.
drdawggy, we are visiting for only 4 days/3 nights (had to cut back on length of our stay for reasons that are too complex to ecxplain here). As I indicated earlier, I can get discounts at the 3 chain hotels. I have contacted Cinta as well and she came up with Caesar Park, Argenta, Americas Tower. Of all of these choices, what has the most character (the 3 chains and Cintia's 3), and, given how short our trip will be, we don't want to be too far out of the way. When I say character, I do not mean that we would trade cleanliness of adequate roominess for character-- we just don't want to be in some convention hotel on a huge, busy street. you thoughts?
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

oops, forgot to mention, no availability at the Retiro Sofitel.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Ok, so do I have this right:

Discounts at Hilton, Sofitel, Marriott. Sofitel/Retiro is out. Sofitel Madero has room.

Character hotels on the web:
Design Suites and Bel Air.

Cintia:
Argenta Tower. Americas Tower. Caesar Park
Argenta Tower and Bel Air....are what we would call 2 star hotels in the US (Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta, Amerisuites, etc)....Good, but not luxury. The Argenta Tower is in a good location, not far from the Sofitel in Retiro. The BelAir is even bette located in Barrio Norte. In both cases, the rooms and ammenities are nothing special, but both are clean shine among hotels of similar price.

Caesar Park. Great location, near Patio Bullrich. More of an upscale hotel than the Bel Air. NIce service.
Great lobby. Comfortable rooms.

Hilton and Sofitel Madero. Not really "character hotels." These are both excellent hotels, two of the best in town, but they are modern and sleek rather than historic and traditional. The Madero is my hotel of choice lately, just because they have had great rates as a grand opening special. Rooms here are as nice as the Caesar Park, or nicer for a much lower price.

Don't worry about distance. You really aren't that far from the places you want to go no matter which of these hotels you select. You will be close to San Telmo and Plaza de Mayo at the Sofitel Madero or Hilton, and near Recoleta at the Caesar Park or Bel Air.

The rooms at the Madero are large by BA standards and have balconies as well as a nice pool...

I guess my two choices from among your group would be Sofitel Madero www.hotelmadero.com (reserve via Travelocity for maximum savings) or the Caesar Park, where you will have Dr__dawggy as a neighbor since I lease an apartment half a block away.....

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

yippee!! being half a block from you MUST mean I will be in the TOP neighborhood. I am going to go with Caesar Park- I went and waited so long that there is now no availability at either Sofitel!!! So the decision was made for me!
Now.... we are on to suggestions in YOUR neighborhood. cafes, restaurants, fun places to people watch, good walks, etc etc (oh no, you're thinking, I helped you with the hotels, I thought my job was over!!!)
thank you thank you!!!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:08 AM

People watching.
indoors. Go to the food court of Patio Bullrich mall, just across the street from the hotel.
outdoors. Go left as you exit the hotel. There is a Cafe/bar about two blocks down with outdoor tables as well as indoor seating.Good place for coffee/media lunes.
outdoors. For lunch, as you exit the hotel turn right, then make a left on Libertad. At the corner of Libertad/Libertador (one block) is a restaurant that has a good fixed price lunch, served outdoors or indoors.
a little further. Go the the heart of REcoleta, Quintana and RM Ortiz. This is an area known as restaurant row....outdoor cafes on either side of the street......and across the park on the other side of the street it Recoleta Cemetary, where Evita is buried.
fine dining. El Mirasol. in Recova...about a block from your hotel. Exit the hotel and turn right, located between Cerritos and 9 de Julio. There are several restaurants in la Recova...another good choice is Piegra.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

still am waiting to hear from Cintia re: caesar.. if that is not an option and there is no availability at either sofitel, what do you recommend? It does not have to be from the list we have been using. The Park Tower next to the Sheraton and the Etoile look nice. hopeffully will hear back form Cintia.. just want to "hedge my bets"!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:59 AM

The Park Tower is very nice. The Etoile is not...maybe it was a good hotel 10 years ago, but it is a bit faded these days. LoiSuites Recoleta is a better choice in the same area as the Etoile.

The 4 Seasons is near the Caesar Park and one of the two nicest hotels in town....the other being the very pricey Alvear Palace.