Banana Beach, Banyan Bay, or Belize Yacht Club

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are three couples looking for accomodations for June in Ambergris Caye. We would like a 3 bedroom suite. Banana Beach has one but it is on the ground floor. I am concerned about noise and lack of privacy and view in a ground floor unit. Banyan Bay only has 2 bedroom units so we would have to have two of them, thereby making it more costly. Belize Yacht Club has a 3 bedroom unit. Anyone have an opinion about these three. Or maybe a better suggestion? Thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:09 AM

I'd rate the three places this way: #1 Banyan Bay, # 2 Banana Beach, # 3 BYC. I don't think there would be an issue of lack of privacy or noise on the ground floor of Banana Beach, but it is true you'd get a better view from the second or third floor.

Banyan Bay is a super place. Banana Beach is, too. It's extremely well run.

Xanadu, back toward town a ways, also has a few three bedroom units, as I recall -- it's very nice. Also, Sunset Beach does, which is a bit farther south. Nice, too, though more of a long-term place rather than a condotel.

The Palms, close to town, I don't think has any three bedroom units, but possibly a two-bedroom and a one-bedroom would work. Never stayed here but have toured it, and it has a lot of fans.

I don't think any of these are bad options. I'm not particularly a fan of BYC, but some people like it a lot. It comes down to what you expect and of course cost.

--Lan Sluder
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lan,

We have booked 2 rooms at Banyan Bay. With the help of your input, we decided that Banyan Bay was worth the extra money. You are a great asset for this forum.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:15 PM

Granbury, when in June are you going to be at Banyan Bay? We're staying there 6/6-6/13.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

We will be there starting June 27. Have you been to Ambergris Caye before? It's been about 7 years since we were there. I'm wondering how much it has changed. Not much, I hop.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:30 AM

No, I've never been to AC or Belize. In addition to the 6 nts in AC, we're spending 3 nts @ Chaa Creek. Needless to say, we are very excited about our trip. Hope you have a great time! Any tips or suggestion on AC would be greatly appreciated.

David
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Pumpy (David), when we were in Ambergris Caye in 1998 we met a young man named Daniel on our first morning there. Daniel was not with a tour co., just had his own boat. We hired him and he took us everywhere. We snorkeled, fished, visited the manatees and the zoo, and had a beach picnic. He even acted as a water taxi for the north end of the island for us. His prices were a fraction of what the tour co. were charging. We had a great time with him. My suggestion is to do all the things you have read about (snorkel hol chan and ray alley, fish, jungle tour, etc.) and you will have a fun filled, enjoyable vacation.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM

Granbury, we stayed at a beach front condo at Banyan Bay in August 2003. I think it was in Building H right on the beach, 2nd floor. You may want to know that our room had a loft converted to a 3rd bedroom (and study and 3rd bathroom), so although it was listed as a 2 br-2bth, it really was a 3 br-3 bth. Worth checking out.

Other amenities were jacuzzi bath, balcony, and mere steps from the room was the hotel bar (great rum punch and ice cold Belikins). Also, a very nice beach.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Pumpy,

We'll be on AC 6/7-6/11 and are considering Banyan Bay. We were there in 2002 and just adored the island! It was more of a romantic trip and we stayed at Ramon's. Now we're bringing our 16 year old daughter so she can experience the island with us. Can't wait. I'll let you know if we decide on Banyan Bay!
H
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:10 AM

phieaglefan: let me know if you decide on Banyan Bay and we can meet at the pool/beach for cold one (or two). By you all returning to the island, you obviously had a good experience the first time. We can hardly wait to go!