BA- The Marriott Plaza- How is the location?

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA- The Marriott Plaza- How is the location?

Some friends of mine are trying to talk us out of staying at The Marriott next December. They say the location is great for shopping, but not very good for sightseeing or decent restaurants. WOuld love to hear opinions on this. Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM

The Marriott is located on Plaza San Martin in downtown Buenos Aires. It is close to Florida Street, which is a pedestrian/shopping street. The Galerias Pacifico shopping mall is only a couple of blocks away.

There are decent restaurants in the area, depending on your interests....
El Establo is a parrilla/steak house at Paraguay/ San Martin street....The Empire Bar on Tres Sergentes (sp?)near Reoconquista serves decent Thai food, very reasonably priced at lunch...a couple of blocks further is the Winery which serves good sandwiches and a glass of wine at lunch...There are Italian and Spanish restaurants not far from the hotel as well...and the Plaza Grill is a very good restaurant to enjoy without leaving the hotel.

The old warehouses along the docks of Puerto Madero is lined with restaurants...including la Parolaccia, a very good Italian Restaurant or happening for typical Argentine food

Cabs are inexpensive to whisk you to Recoleta and Palermo, where there are more restaurants...
Palermo Soho is the center of fusion cuisine offered by a new wave of Argentine chefs....it will probably cost 15 pesos or five dillars from the Marriott to Soho....
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much drdawggy! I think The Marriott is a perfect choice for us, so was confused by my friends' reactions. Is it walkable to Recoleta?
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Perfectly walkable, but it could be warm in December.

Have a great time in our town.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, avrooster!

I'm sure that we will have a great time in your town! Been looking forward to visiting for a long time.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM

Weedles: My wife and I stayed at the Marriott for a week in BA in 2002 and we loved it. Thought the location was fine. We walked everywhere or took cabs. Recoleta is a good walk but an interesting one. We walked to it and from it a couple of times. Plenty of restaurants around the hotel. Try to get a room facing the park if you can. The people in the hotel were very nice to us.

p.s. being right on Avendia Florida makes it easy to take an evening stroll where there is plenty to look at right and it is right across the street from the hotel. enjoy
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM

The Marriot is the former Plaza Hotel, one of the icons in Buenos Aires. I find the location very good, as non stop points out if might be a little far from Recoleta to walk there all the time, can be done though, but taxis are inexepensive and easy to come buy. There are tons of radio taxi companies and those are the ones you should use. Or the ones the hotel would call for you.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM

I second the motion for the Marriott.

There are a lot of places that are walkable from here.

1.Florida Street
2. Eva Peron Manson and Plaza de Mayo
3. San Martin Park
4.July 9th Avenue and the Obelisk

Across the street from the Marriott in the park is the Red Brick Tower given to Buenos Aires by England in 1916( for their 100 years of Independence.)

But hey, listen to avrooster...he lives there
Percy
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great replies! The Marriott it is!