Marriott Plaza - Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made a reservation at this hotel. Does anyone have any feedback on the rooms and/or location? Or, does anyone have suggestions for a hotel in the Palermo or La Recoleta area? Our budget is $100-$150/night.

Thank you!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:48 PM

This is the former Plaza Hotel in beautiful Plaza San Martin. For years it was the best hotel in BuenosAires. So it has tradition, location, and should be a nice hotel.
Marriot has taken over many hotels all over the world in a similar situation , I have stayed at the Marriot
Gran Hotel.Flora in Rome and liked it, so I guess must it must also be very nice. .Buena suerte.
Taxis are so inexpensive in Buenos Aires that in a way everything is within a few dollars ride. Only remember to take radio taxis, this is the last company I used last month, they arrive promptly and I bet they charge much less than any car the hotel will call for you,
RADIO TAXI ALO,4855-0455 and 4857 1111, there are many others like Pidalo Taxis etc.
( Alo goes for Hello)
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:21 PM

Location is fine, on Plaza San Martin.
I visited a friend who stayed there. Her room was fine, but she told me it was the second room she had been assigned. The first was on the tattered side. The second had been refurbished.

Other options in the same class: Hilton, Puerto Madero; Sheraton; 4 seasons (if you are lucky); LoiSuites Recoleta ( a new hotel in the middle of Recoleta); and Soffitel, at the upper end of your budget...but a step up from the Marriott. From among this group, my favorites would be the Soffitel and 4 Seasons.....Graziella is correct about radio taxis.Please heed her advice for your own safety.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your feedback and recommendations!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 10:46 AM

any updates on the Marriott Plaza Hotel?
What is the location like around it?
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I think you can get better rooms, better facilities and better service in other hotels for that money. The location is ok. though i think Recoleta/Barrio Norte is a better one, locals and tourists mix more, shops are nicer, quieter too.
good luck
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM

Just for fun, I ran a price check on the net to determine what options you might have for the same money. A big surprise: Marriott appears to have lowered prices.

I checked three sources. The lowest rate I found for an October stay at the Marriott was $100 per night. The highest rate was $148.

Hotels in the same price/category :

NH City. $82
Loisuites Recoleta. $95

Other upscale hotels were much higher....Sofitel $190, for example and the Four Seasons, Alvear Palace and Park Tower, were beyond $200

The Hilton might be in the same price range as the Marriott, but it was not available for the date I selected.

Most of these hotels are in the downtown area. The Emperador and LoiSuites Recoleta are the exceptions.
The Emperador is on Liberatodor, not far from 9 de Julio. Loisuites is on Vincinte Lopez, half a block from the Village of Recoleta. Both are newer hotels.

Bottom line: When the Marriott was the same price as Sofitel or some of the other 5star properties, I thought it was overpriced. In the $80 to $110 a night group mentioned above, it is ok. Location: the location is on Plaza San Martin, steps away from the Florida street pedestrian mall. The area is largely business/commercial and tourism. I agree with the poster who said while it is ok, Recoleta/Barrio Norte is a better choice because of the residential feel....