Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What Mykonos town hotel do you recommend?

Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My partner and I plan to travel to Mykonos for 4 days in late August during our trip to Greece. We are interested in staying in Hora (Mykonos town) for convenience to shopping, restaurants, and nightlife. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel under $300/night? Preferably someplace that has a pool, is not too far of a walk from the town center, and is also convenient to buses that go to the beaches.

Thanks so much!
ACC
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:35 PM

One possibility: We stayed at Poseidon Hotel a few years ago. The room and views were very nice, close to town and the central bus stop, large salt water pool, and I think it will be under your price limit.
Have fun!
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM

I stayed at Harmony Hotel (last year)which is close to the beach and the centre of the town. It is nice with modern decorations and of course a swimming pool. I was also satisfied by the services they offered me and that is why I would suggest you to check it as well. Here is a link I found it http://www.mykonos-hotels.info/hotel...mony-Hotel.asp .
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:56 AM

Hi

We stayed at the Vencia Hotel - http://www.vencia.gr. Beautiful sunset views from your balcony. Make sure you get a seaview room. It's showing 220 euro on their website but you might want to email them for availability. A big plus for the Vencia is that you have easy and free car parking. Renting a car to tour the island is highly recommended.
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:52 AM

we love the location and staff at Mykonos Bay Hotel, as it is at the edge of town on a small sand beach, fab pool, great views, and nicely priced for clean comfortable and only a 7 minute walk to town.
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:47 AM

I loved my stay at the Hotel Rochari in Mykonos town.

The room was small, but we had a huge balcony with a great view over the whole town and the harbor, and the staff was very helpful. Plus, they offered free transport to/from the port, which was a nice bonus.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM

Just to give you an option to Mykonos Town since you choose it for convenience to shopping & restaurants, you can also stay in Platis Gialos Beach which is 4Km away (2.5miles)and has very frequent and very late bus service. Taxi fare is only 8 euro to Mykonos Town (Hora) and you can also take small boats to many of the other beaches.
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Unfortunately, the big minus for the Vencia is the very busy road that winds its way around the hotel, through Dexamenes to Ano Mera. This road, for many years, has been dangerous to negotiate and noise from it is a major problem.

Four 'garden view' rooms at Hotel Rochari are also affected by that same road's noise but the remaining sea view rooms are quiet. The Poseidon is located close to the same road but a good bit further back from it and is also a nice hotel.

All that said, the closest walking times to the town centre be the 1) Poseidon & Rochari 2) Harmony and 3) Vencia.

If I can caution you about one thing it is Trip Advisor reviews, especially for one of them. Post your message on the Mykonos forum there and regulars (some local) who know the town and its hotels better than most, will reply. You'll be surprised.

Bill
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Les

We just got back from our Turkey/Greece trip. In Mykonos, we stayed at the Vencia. It's a very nice hotel, great staff, great views.
Regarding Bill's comments re. the busy, noisy road: Yes, it's busy, but that was not a problem for us as we didn't have a car. The walk into town center (about 10 minutes) required only a couple of short stretches (less than 100 yards) along the road, but you can drop into the town via a series of steps, and don't need to follow the road all the way down. Our problem (because my wife has trouble climbing steps) was the long, arduous (for her) climb back to the hotel. We always took a taxi back up (about 5 minutes, 3 Euros).
As for noise from the road, we had a town/ocean view room, and never heard a sound.
In all other ways, the hotel was perfect.
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice. Rochari has no rooms available. The Harmony is $374/night, which is more than we wanted to spend. Despotiko is more in our price range and sounds nice. Do any of you have an opinion about Despotiko? Is it closer to the town center than Harmony or Poseidon? Would you choose Despotiko or Poseidon in terms of amenities and quality?

Thanks again!
ACC
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Yes Les, it's a killer walk back up isn't it? For many, many years I've walked up that same road and pathways from town to the crossroads a little over the hill from the Vencia. In the hot sun it is very uncomfortable and these days, with my old legs, I'll admit to very occasionally taking a taxi.

I was not in any way talking the Vencia down but folks need to be aware of the road and the noise. In high summer the volume of traffic on it is horrendous and, very regretably, sometimes dangerous.

acc23nyc, the Despotiko if I am remembering correctly, used to be an old Orthodox church property before being converted to a hotel. It's located on the hill overlooking the town and, of course, at a higher elevation than the Poseidon. I haven't been a guest at either hotel so can't comment on facilities etc but for quicker and easier access to town's centre the Poseidon would be my choice.

bill
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM

Well, as I said, the only hotel I stayed at was the Poseidon. I think the location is really good in terms of walking to town. It wasn't the most gracious staff but the room was very nice, great view, the pool superb, and we enjoyed it very much. I must admit that my caveat is that it can be noisy and wild in Mykonos which is less to my liking when there are so many more pristine and genuine islands. I couldn't wait to get back to beloved Paros, but each to his own. In any case, get out of town and visit the beaches of Mykonos - they are wonderful!