Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Paris hotels - Le Saint Gregoire or Hotel Left Bank St. Germain

Paris hotels - Le Saint Gregoire or Hotel Left Bank St. Germain

May 31st, 2004, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Paris hotels - Le Saint Gregoire or Hotel Left Bank St. Germain

I've read good reviews about Hotel Left Bank S.G. except for quite dark rooms facing the "courtyard". And I've read a few comments about the St. Gregoire some negative mostly about the small rooms and
However, St. Gregoire is offering a patio view while the Left Bank S.G. is offering a room facing the courtyard. Both rooms are the same size.
Does anyone know about both hotels and can advise which would be better?
May 31st, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 31st, 2004, 03:59 PM

In March we spent 1 night at the Hotel Left Bank S.G. I cannot compare it to the other hotel you name as I do not know it. However, the Hotel Left Bank S.G. did have dark rooms even w/a room facing the street w/2 large windows. The location, howvever was great--as you probably already know. I found the room to be noisy from the hall b/c there was no little sort of mini-hallway or setback for the door, if you can picture what I mean. The room had a large king size type bed that virtually took up the whole room. Not a problem since we were only there one night but I would hesitate to stay for several nights w/o some guarantee of a more spacious and quiet room.
May 31st, 2004, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Socialworker, was your room a standard double at Hotel Left Bank? The one they offer is a deluxe double around 18 sq. m. Thanks.
May 31st, 2004, 06:36 PM

I am bad w/stuff like that but I just asked my husband and he estimates that our room was ~12 sq. meters or less. I am quite sure it was a "standard" b/c we booked it on rates to go and since the hotel has to take a lower price for those rooms, I doubt they would have given us anything other than the standard. BTW, thanks for your input when I first "joined" this board and asked questions about Strasbourg. You were right about trying Alsatian restaurants. We both still fantasize about the food there!!
May 31st, 2004, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the compliment, socialworker! I didn't remember you had asked about Strasbourg. Yes, I agree with you about the Alsatian restaurants and I'm glad my suggestion was good.

And thanks for the information you have given me about Hotel Left Bank's room size. I think the one they offered me would be ok for size. If I do choose it then I guess I'll have to put on the lights more often.
May 31st, 2004, 09:52 PM

Francophile, I stayed at the Saint-Grégoire some 10 years ago and was quite happy with my room, which was on the front and was quite bright and sufficiently roomy (for a Paris hotel). The service was friendly and charming. At about the same period I also looked at a room in the Best Western Left Bank and decided the hotel was not for me: dark with heavy furniture.

Location might be a deciding factor however, since the Left Bank is smack in the middle of the Saint-Germain tourist center, while the Saint-Grégoire is about halfway between St-Germain and Montparnasse, at metro St-Placide. Since I like to walk, I didn't mind the extra 5-7 minutes to get to Saint-Germain-des-Prés.
May 31st, 2004, 10:37 PM

Francophile we stayed at the Left Bank S.G. for 3 nights last August. We booked a room with queen bed on the BW website. The room was quite small, but not uncomfortably so, had a large bathroom and the tub actually had a shower curtain.From memory, I think the room was #505, and from the window we could see Notre Dame.
The staff were great, and we really like the location, would stay there again.We didn't find the room at all noisy, and we were fairly close to the elevator.
Haven't stayed at the St. Gregoire so can't comment on their rooms.
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Shellio and Skylark, thanks. Shellio, I, too, am not fond of the dark furniture. I like the St. Gregoire's lighter furnishings but not its location as much. If it's around 7 minutes walk to Blvd. St. Germain that should be ok. I walked once from rue Jacob to Bon Marche and it was not that far but not too close either.

By the way, someone posted on I think Rants & Raves that Hotel St. Gregoire is opposite the Holiday Inn. Is this true? I thought the Holiday Inn St. Germain des Pres is on rue Vaugirard, closeby but not on the same street as the St. Gregoire.
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:38 PM

The HOliday Inn has two sides because it's on the corner of Vaugirard and the street the Saint Gregoire is on, rue de l'Abbe Gregoire. So, the part of the hotel on that street is across from it.
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Christina, is it so unsightly as this former guest felt there was a lack of charm due to the Holiday Inn view?
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:07 PM

Francophile, the Holiday Inn is indeed across the street from the St-Grégoire, but it certainly didn't bother me, even though I must have looked out at it from my room.

I seem to recall seeing what looked like a classroom directly across the street at about 3rd floor level, with children in class and construction paper things on the window, but I don't remember ever hearing noise or the sounds of children, so possibly the entrance to this classroom/school was on the other side of the building.

For what it's worth, I'd have no hesitation in staying there again, but my favorite hotel in the area is the Abbaye.
Jun 1st, 2004, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shellio. I checked the view on the pages jaunes and the Holiday Inn didn't seem to jarring. I don't know, maybe that former guest is more picky than I am.

Are there alot of restaurants and bakeries in this area?

Search this Thread