Has anyone been to Turkey with GCT recently? Do
you have any hints or suggestions for me? I am
concerned about the size of the group and being
able to hear the guide while at a site. Any
clothing suggestions for a woman?

Many thanks!
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marsh, I was on the GCT October 2003 tour and it was an extraordinary experience. The tour group was large --40 people -- but as all were experienced travelers we didn't have the problems that hearing of a 40-person group brings to mind. A reason for the size of the group was that GCT consolidated other departures into this one because of the Iraq war. You will be very lucky if your tour guide is Serif Yenen. He is President of the Turkish Tour Guide Association and has written a splendid travel book, "Turkish Odyssey" which is unfortunately not available in the US. Serif pulls out all the stops in presenting his country to tourists, warts and all. If you have been on other GCT trips you will appreciate that staying 3 or 4 nights in each stop is a god-send rather than the frenetic today here, tomorrow there tour that someone I met in Smyrna was experiencing. The Turks are very friendly and pleasant people and travelling there is a worthwhile experience. I haven't been very specific in my response but if you have specific questions, please repost. As regards clothing suggestions, I would not recommend shorts but the cities are cosmopolitan and the rural areas are much more conservative with chadors and head coverings for the residents. Have a great trip.
Old May 9th, 2004, 01:56 AM

You can find SERIF"s book "Turkish Odyssey" in AMAZON.COM. Of course if you interested in to buy.

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:18 PM

I went last year with GCT in March. Had a fantastic time. Our guide was Aydin Ondul, best guide in the world. The size of our group was only 26 as the Iraq War had just started and people cancelled out. We were like one big family, so cool. Just wore slacks, tops and blouses, and a light coat and good walking shoes. (Lots of walking. I am going back in September to see Eastern Turkey with a different tour company since GCT doesn't go there.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 09:40 PM

This is for Miriamjd1,
My husband would like to go to eastern Turkey sometime in the future. He wants to drive and I don't. I saw how they drive in western Turkey and a tour would be much safer.

Would you mind telling what tour company goes to eastern Turkey?