Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3-day organized tour from Goreme to Nemrut worthwhile?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several companies that run 3-day trips from Goreme to Nemrut Dagi / Sanliurfa / Harran. They seem to offer very similar tours. Has anyone done this trip? Is it worthwhile? Or is it too much traveling within a very short time-frame? (It appears that the 1st and 3rd days of the trip are primarily travel days (via mini-bus). Is the scenery interesting? I'm traveling alone, so I'd like to do this with a group. It does sounds like an adventure, and I'm interested in the area's incredible history.

Thanks in advance.

Following are the itineraries:

Rock Valley Travel offers a tour here: http://rockvalleytravel.com/nemrut-tours.html

Nemrut Tours offers the following:

DAY 1 - CAPPADOCIA - NEMRUT MOUNTAIN

Departure in the morning from Göreme,After Kayseri visit the 13 th centyry Seljuk Caravansarai "Karatayhan".The next stop will be in Pinarbasi for a short tea break then drive to Tekir for Lunch.Take a picture of the beautiful scenery of the Tekir Valley.Drive to Kahraman Maras to have world famous ice-cream, then drive to Kahta.Tea break,transfer to hotel,O/N Nemrut ( L-D )

DAY 2 - NEMRUT HARRAN

Very early morning departure up to the ruins, After get off the minibus twenty five minutes climbing on foot to the top where you will watch the beautiful sun rise between the colossal size statues and heads of the kings and Gods. After sun rise we have time to walk around and taking pictures. Then drive back to the hotel for breakfast. Drive to Kahta, on the way visit the ruins of the arsemia Roman bridge of Cendere and Royal Tomb of Karakus. Tea break in Kahta. Drive to Sanlı Urfa-Harran on the way visit Ataturk Dam which is the biggest dam in Middle East. C/in to hotel in Sanlı Urfa,after lunch visit Abrahams Cave and the Pools of Holy Carp surrounding it, than walk around oriental covered bazaar.Then drive Harran a village of Spellbinding Mud-Birck "beehive" houses mentioned in the book of genesis where Abraham spend last years of his life.Visit the ruins of Harran including city walls, oldest islamic university and the castle dated to eighteen century. After the sun set drive back to the hotel, dinner and O/N Sanli Urfa ( B-L-D )

DAY 3 - SANLI URFA - GÖREME

Departure from Sanlı Urfa to Adana-Birecik which is the famous with its bald-ibis ( Kel aynak ) birds.This birds are living only in Bilecik in the world.There is not much left of them.There is a Breeding farm of Bald İbis birds.having a lunch,drive up to the Taurus Mountain after Adana.Tea break than drive back to Göreme.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:57 PM

Dear Kirsten-- This is a wonderful part of Turkey and I know it well. I would say that it is a lot of driving and not enough time in the interesting towns of Kahraman-Maras & Urfa. You are going out Harran... if you had time, I would say you should also go on to Mardin and the Dar az-Zafran monastery... SE Turkey is much more that Nemrut Dagi. You could easily take 4-5 nights to do the same trip.

But you don't say what your travel style, budget, and time frame are.... If you are going in summer it is HOT-- REALLY HOT. So, if you are in a mini-bus, you want to be sure that it is in good shape, driven by a careful operator, and that it will have A/C-- not only for your comfort, but also b/c roads can be dusty.

I don't know this tour operator, so you need to do some homework. Does the tour include a knowledgeable guide who speaks a language that you understand? If not, you'll be better off skipping this excursion and waiting to do it in a more measured fashion. Being stuck in small vehicle with people you may not care for and being without a skillful guide to pull together the cultural elements could set you up for 3 long days of less-than-happy travelling.

I do this sort of thing professionally, and I hate to see people have a bad experience in such a fascinating and friendly region.

But if you are young, flexible, and gregarious-- well, then try it. Just be sure you are travelling in a SAFE vehicle with a responsible tour operator.

My advice, take more time.

There's also fabulous food in the Southeast;I've written about that for years, and think that anyone who goes to SE Turkey and does not go to Gaziantep is like someone going to France who neglects to dine in Lyon...

Holly (at) HollyChase (dot)com
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:21 AM

I could not add anything further to Holly's commnets in general. I am sure you will enjoy your vacation.

In addition to food issue Hatay and Adana are my favorites too....

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 07:13 AM

I would like to find a tour that starts or stops in Gasiantep or Urfa that fits all the criteria that Holly mentions above. Can anyone recommend a tour company for this coming June?
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggest flying to Gaziantep, Mardin or Diyarbakir, renting a car to drive in the area and find local guides at each location. My wife and I had just a few days last December when we flew to Mardin, drove to Midyat and Hasankeyf, saw both Dar-el-zafereyn and Mor Gabriel monateries.

Maybe, Hasankeyf, which will be lost under the waters of the Tigris in a few years, is the most important place to see close to Mardin.

If you can find a companion or two to go with you, the adventure is terrific.

I also read some terrible posts on some of the tours from Goreme to Nemrut a few months ago on Trip Advisor. You probably should check them.

If you want a tour that is very popular with the Turkish upscale travelers it is called Fest Travel and has truely very well educated and trained guides, but rather expensive.