No toilet seats?

Search

No toilet seats?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No toilet seats?

I was mortified that the ladies room in the Vatican museum did'nt have toilet seats or paper. I am aware that sometimes this may be the case . However,the Vatican charges admission to this museum that has billions of dollars worth of art work. They can't afford toilet seats and paper?
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:58 PM

You were there? Did you ask anyone about it while there? I would love to know why no seats.
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I was there! I looked in other stalls and saw no seats. I must admit that my stall may have just been out of paper because I did see paper in other stalls.
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't remember toilet seats being a problem when we were in the Vatican in June. We went to see the Last Supper in Milanand were surprised to encounter a turkish toilet there after all the high-tech humidty control for the painting we expected high-tech toilets.
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:36 PM

I'll have to admit the no toilet seats is one European mystery I haven't figured out. The toilet paper is not doubt that they ran out, however.

I have encountered no toilet seats in various restrooms in France and don't get it. This is not comfortable for a woman, and I've seen this in restrooms that are solely for ladies. I saw it again recently somewhere that I forget -- either Spain or Poland, I suppose. Certainly they have toilet seats in their homes there, don't they? As one example, I was residing in a French foyer one summer while attending a French university in Paris, and the toilet rooms on the floor (rooms didn't have their own) did not have toilet seats. At first, I thought maybe the one nearest my room was just broken or something, but then I found out they were all like that. This was not a turn-of-the-century building, either, and was otherwise quite nice. This was a foyer solely for women, also.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:45 PM

No toilet seats? That's why they call them the vati-cans.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:50 PM

Did you check out the ladies room on the upper level of St Peter's? They don't have paper in the stalls, but there is one, rather initimidating woman attendent who hands you a single small square of paper as you enter(like a diner paper napkin). And you are expected to tip her for this!

I think this restroom had seats, however.
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:50 PM

I've seen the no toilet seat set-up but only in Italy at a few places.
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:02 PM
dln

sealady, thanks for the funny memory! I too looked in the first stall at the Vatican ladies room, saw no seat, and assumed it was broken. Checked the second stall. Same story. Checked the third. Same story. Finally realized they were all "broken," gave up, and went about my business. They're not as uncomfortable as you might think at first glance, though. (Thank goodness!) And far better than crossing your legs and wiggling.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:51 AM

the "squatter" used to be more ubiquitous throughout southern europe than now. while the porcelein pan with two footpads may seem intimidating on first encounter, remember it's merely a question of balance.

actually, "on balance", it's quite sanitary unless you hit the moroccan variety with the #10 can of water in lieu of paper and the interesting modern art on the walls.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:59 AM

The eastern toilet has been de rigueur in cafes since earliest times. When you find a western toilet without a seat it is probably because the seat was broken so often that they gave up replacing it. The seats get broken because middle Easterners who are accustomed to the hammam get up on the seat with both feet and squat. Just think how uncomfortable that must be for them.

If you want a clean seat and white toilet paper go to McDonalds. That's why the golden arches are everywhere.

In general, always have a roll of TP or a packet of Kleenex in your day bag.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:21 AM

Agree to always have some Kleenex and a handiwipe or bottle of purell in your purse. Have found this in the Vatican - and its very common in Russia/estern europe as well - never mind the no toilet at all holes in the ground at some major sites. Agree that its not a lot of fun - but if you're prepared its much better than the port-a-potties at public events here.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
We were in Italy in March and my 21 year old tells everyone about her 9 year old sister calling from inside the toilet stall - Ashley, there's toilet paper and a seat!

So yes, we found the "no toilet seat" many places in the Rome area.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:43 AM
ChatNoir

I read where this all got started during the reign of Pope Squatis the First who disapproved of beating around the bush when taking care of personal business.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Yikes, This was the only place in Rome that I found this problem. I was prepared with my Kleenex but as I was fishing around in my bag, my Vatican entrance ticket fell into a wet spot on the floor... Yuck! At that point , I gave up.