Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

JetBlue exit row seats...Are they worth the additional cost ? Are they really "less padded" seats?

Search

JetBlue exit row seats...Are they worth the additional cost ? Are they really "less padded" seats?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a 5 hour flight out west and considering paying the upgrade for the 38" pitch seats (yeah, now they charge an additional 20 bucks for a long-haul flight for these seats). Seatguru says the seats are "less padded" than the regular ones.

The new seating just began April 1st. Anyone flown recently and can tell me how *unpadded* these seats really are?

Thanks for your quick response!

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Why not take Rows 2-5?
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Those seats are not available (sorry I neglected to mention that). We went ahead and changed the seats -- I mean, how bad could the seats really be? [don't answer that!, lol]
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 10:32 AM

It has been 2 years since I've flown jetBlue transcon. Used to get exit rows but quit doing that in favor of a seat in the back. I forget why. Thought the seats in the back were better than 34" and maybe they have changed but 34" is still much better than the 31" on most other economy seats. Last time I got a seat that seatguru warned would be cold it really was.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

JetBlue's new fleet only has 34 inch pitch seat and the "new' 38 inch pitch seats which you pay a premium for. My husband said their stock went up as a result of the change, so I guess people like the choice.

I'll let you know how they are.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Before the recent switch, some rows in the back has more than 34in pitch, because they removed seats over a year ago to avoid putting a 4th FA on each flight.

Now, they just figure out that they can consolidate the extra pitch in rows 2-5 and charge a premium. So, basically they're squeezing more revenue without any cost (except for moving some rows a few inches).

Smart move, in my opinion. However, some see it as going against Jetblue's original egalitarian principal.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

rkkwan, I actually had the same thought when my husband told me about the charge for the seats, that it was against their original principal. It is by far the most comfortable coach option (I wish they would go overseas).
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM

we recently sat in the exit row on jet blue (LGB-ORD and return) and didn't find the seats to be "less padded" though the darn head rest part didnt have any kind of flex-rest pads like AA does, which I find extremely uncomfortable.

I'm slender, so I don't need a lot of room, but do appreciate comfortable head rest because I get migraines. For this reason, I wouldn't choose JetBlue again.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:12 AM

Hi seetheworld

Can't help with JetBlue, as we generally fly AA.

However, it's interesting to note that Seatguru also states the exit seats on AA have less padding, just as you mentioned for JetBlue.

For years we've been able to get the exit rows and have been comfortable enough. I'd much rather have the extra leg room. If they supply pillows or a blanket, you can always use that for padding.

But stretching out my legs on a long flight with no tray table hitting my chest, that's the clincher for me.

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

ahhh all is well in my world...the airline forum is back!!

Hello swisshiker! I can survive with a little less padding, but I NEED the legroom! On our recent trip with BA, the woman in front of me kept her seat reclined the entire time...right through dinner and even during landing (I had to get the FA to get her to put her seat upright). Have a great trip!!

Anyway, thanks to all of you.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Most airline seats, at least in coach, are designed for males, tall ones, I think. Headrest always hits me in the top of my head, instead of supporting the enck, thrusting my head forward into a very awkward and uncomfortable position. We bought those blow up seats that are suppose to deal with this....nope~! only make it worse. And sitting bolt upright (as you do in most nowdays) causes my chest to compress and arms to dangle...very, very uncomfortable, but guess it's all in getting the most people in the least amount of space. I would be curious to know what they use for a human model when designing these miserable seats.