Choosing seats on airplane via seatguru.com

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to choose seats for my husband and I on our next flight through seatguru. I've never used this site before, so I thought I'd seek feedback here first.

Which seating arrangements do you prefer when traveling as a couple- window, aisle, each on aisle seats?

Our flights are on a U.S. Airways, Economy seats, so the planes have 3 seats on each side.

I'm thinking that booking seats at the front of the plane would be best in terms of quicker disembarkation.

Any tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,
Bloom

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:55 AM

There is no definite answer. Just depends on the preference of both of you. Do YOU like a window seat or aisle seat? Does YOUR HUSBAND like a window or aisle seat? How important is it for you to sit together?

I like to assign my parents window/aisle with an empty seat in the middle. But in the past year or so, planes have been so full that the middle seat is usually taken. [But they still like it this way as they have been married long enough they don't need to sit together. ]
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply rkkwan- I just discovered that you can't actually book/reserve seats on the seatguru site. I guess its main purpose is to show you the seat configuration so that you have an idea of where you might like to be assigned seats when checking in at the airport.

Bloom
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Many of the airlines allow you to pick seats non their own websites. If you have any ststus then you can pick exit row seats as well.

Seatguru.com is for information only. You can't pick seats on that website.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks AAFrequent, but I couldn't find locate this option on the U.S. Airways website.

Bloom
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 09:15 AM

You could call US Airways re: the seat assignments. That's usually what I've done after booking on its site, as I've had problems in the past with seat selections not sticking (admittedly, I can't recall if that was the current US site or the old America West site).
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 09:34 AM

In economy we always try for 2 aisle seats across from each other. It is easier to get out. I don't mind getting up if the seat mates have to
go to the the bathroom as it is a good idea to get up and move around.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:14 AM

While seat guru may show you choicer seats, some airlines reserve these for FF with some status.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Bloom: to change seats on the US Airways website, you have to make sure that your US Airways Dividend Miles no. is in your reservation. You can then go to the US Airways website and click on "My Trip." Once you enter your confirmation no. and departure date, it will show you your itinerary and a link that would allow you to change seats.

As someone has already pointed out before, seats closest up front and the exit seats are reserved for elite members until day of departure.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM

We normally in a 3 seat config book the window and the aisle in the hope that no one wants to sit in the middle - 90% success rate. If someone does sit in the middle my wife offers them the window and they greatfully accept. The back of the plane is IMO less ligghtly to fill up before the front. Early disembarcation is not really an issue as you are bound to wait either for baggage or imigration
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

VT- Thank you...I will check that out.

blightyboy- Good to know you've had a 90% success rate with booking the window + aisle seats. It seems logical that most people would accept the offer of the window seat over having to sit in the middle of two strangers that know each other.

Thank you all for your input.

Bloom
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM

My husband and I do the window/aisle thing, too--but I think our success rate is only about 75%. I like the window, and he likes the aisle, and we take turns offering our preferred seat to the person in the middle. Only once did someone turn us down because he preferred the middle to the aisle, which we had offered him.

My parents both like aisle seats, and they select two asiles across from each other. They can still easily talk, and are willing to give up holding hands on the flight in exchange for easy access to the restroom.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:42 PM

An alternate way to see your reservations and get seat assignments on usair, assuming that you have a DM account and have established a username/password:
1) go to usair.com
2) enter username and password in the boxes at the top and press "Log In"
3) at the top of the page you will see:
Welcome <u>Your Name</u> : miles
click on Your Name
4) Look under: Future Online Reservations
there's a button to take you to the details for each res.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, mrwun...I tried that yesterday without success.

I booked my flights through Expedia, and I can't locate the 6 digit code. It only gives me a long numerical one.

It's no biggie, really. We'll just try to arrive early to choose our seats.

Thanks,
Bloom
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:53 AM
J62

Arriving early at the airport to get your seats won't really help you a lot. By that time the chances of getting 2 seats together will likely be somewhere between slim to none.

Call the airline on the phone today and you'll be done in about 2min.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:20 AM

When you call USAirways, you should also find out your 6-digit &quot;reservation number&quot; or &quot;PNR&quot;. Then do online check-in 24 hours before your flight.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM

&quot; booked my flights through Expedia, and I can't locate the 6 digit code. It only gives me a long numerical one.&quot;

All you need to do is email Expedia and ask for the number.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Ok, if you booked thru Expedia then do what rkkwan suggested and get the USAir PNR by calling USAir 800-428-4322. Then log onto usair.com or use My Trip as VT* suggested. You ought to be able to find your reservation and then choose seats and, later, check in. good luck
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Update:

I had booked our flights through Expedia, and finally located the 6 digit code when I clicked on &quot;View this itinerary online&quot;. The code is not on the original registration document I was sent.

Also, I found that Expedia has a &quot;Seat Pinpointer&quot; feature- I used that to choose our seats. Quite a number of them were still available, and I was able to select window + aisle for all four flights.

Thank you all for your kind assistance,
Bloom
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 01:06 PM

I've used seatguru in the past in order to see what seats are best ... however, it seems that everytime I select the seats (way in advance), by the time the flight comes up, the airline has changed planes along with my seat selection. Sometimes you just can't win!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -