CO connection problem at EWR - need help with some options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, now I'm the one that needs some assistance. Here's the dilemma. Our 19 yr old DD is visiting a good friend in Sweden next week and is flying by herself next Tues. Route is IAH - EWR - ARN. EWR - ARN is on CO 68, leaving 5:35 pm. The problem is the IAH - EWR leg.

We've (me, DW, & DD) been watching fares, schedules for weeks. A few weeks ago the fare looked pretty good so, unknown to me, DD made her reservations online. Fine, but now the good part - last night I asked her when her flight left IAH (thinking it was CO 40 leaving at 10:45 am which would give her 2 hrs connection time) She checked and said she's on the 11:45 am flight (CO 152). Apparently the look on my face said it all. That is supposed to arrive at 4:43, so it leaves her about 50 min to connect - assuming everything is on time, which it rarely is at EWR. I think the chances of making the connection are slim to none, and I'm not even thinking luggage issues at the moment. [I give her credit for taking the initiative, but kick myself for not discussing connection times in more detail - me and DW have always made reservations on overseas trips]

From what I can tell, CO 152 has been arriving late, and yesterday it was over 1 hr late. CO 68 was also late leaving EWR, but only by 30 min. No connection possible. CO 152 has been arriving at gates 102A and 97 (both Term C) and CO 68 has been leaving from C86 & C96, so the gates don't appear to be terribly far apart.

Seems to me we have 3 options:

1) leave "as is" and hope everything is late/everything is on time. [She does have an aunt in NYC, so if she misses flight she'll have a place to stay. This is one reason we wanted to have her change in EWR rather than LHR, FRA, AMS, etc]

2) bit the bullet, and change ticket to earlier flight in IAH - such as CO 40, or

3) arrive early and try standby on CO 40 (knowing that this flight is already pretty full and she'd have to have only carryon)

Also consider that DD is pretty travel savey. She's been to China, Mexico, Jamaica, Bermuda, Hawaii, Canada several times, and Europe at least 7 times - but always with family or groups. She's flown solo in the US more times than I can count and never had a problem. She did get separated from her group at NRT during China trip, but ended up finding her way to the departure gate before her group did, so she's pretty good about navigating airports. All of us have flown into EWR several times, but just to go to NYC, not to connect.

Any ideas, guidance, etc would be really appreciated. Anything I'm missing? Thanks.

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:24 AM

The first, very key, question is whether the IAH-EWR and EWR-ARN legs are part of a single ticket (itinerary). If so, then DD is protected if she misconnects. If not, she could have a problem -- CO might put her on the next flight with space available, but they wouldn't have to.

FWIW, the 50 mins is a valid connecting time for those flights.

You should not put too much stock into the recent arrival and departure times. They are very much dependent on weather in the NYC area, and it's impossible to predict at this point the conditions on your day of travel.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:48 AM

4. Which I think she should do is:

<b>Same-day confirmed travel</b> for $25.

On the day of travel, call CO 3 hours before the flight <b>she wants to be on</b> or do it at the airport to ask for it. Since there are so many flights IAH-EWR, she can start calling early to try to get on the 8:50 CO510 and CO40. Or 2 flights that are even earlier if she gets really worried.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM

This offer may only applies to Onepass members, so make sure she's signed up.

Information is on continental.com. Go to &quot;Onepass News and Offers&quot; under &quot;Onepass Frequent Flyer&quot;, and click on the &quot;Airline&quot; offers. This offer started in April 2006.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, it's on one ticket. I know current histories aren't terribly accurate, but thought it would at least give me some clues. Unfortunately, I know about NYC's weather issues. I was flying into EWR last March during that snow storm - that was almost worth a separate trip report in itself(!).

rkkwan - appreciate info. Wasn't aware of that for some reason. Yes, she's been member of OnePass for several years.