Missing a Connection

Search

Missing a Connection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing a Connection

Ill be traveling Delta soon to Salt Lake City and 1 1/2 hrs later Delta to Reno. I noticed today that the flight to Salt Lake City was 2 hours late. I also noticed that there are only 4 Delta flights to Reno which were all sold out. There was a number of 1 stops to reno but that entailed going to Denver or SF with very long layovers. My question is what happens in a situation like that. With so many flights delayed and full this summer it must happen a lot.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM

The SLC-RNO flight may also be delayed.

Even though a later flight may be sold out, they can still put you on standby. Some people may no-show, and others may miss their own connections.

But yes, misconnections happen a lot, particularly this summer.

Note that if the customer service lines are long at the airport for re-scheduling, call the airline instead. Or if you have access to the Crown Room Club, do it there.

If the first flight was late due to weather, they will not pay for your hotel if you have to overnight at SLC. If there's massive systemwide delays (very rare for SLC), nearby airport hotels may fill up quickly. If it's getting late in the day and chances look slim getting to RNO, you may want to book a hotel before too late.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Oh, just want to add that with a 1.5 hours layover, your chances of making the flight is very good. Don't worry too much.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks......now if you can tell me how not to worry
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM

fromMA - I help my parents and several relatives book quite a few trips a year. Very often long-haul routes with connection at Newark, which has horrible one-time records in spring and summer, and not much better rest of the year.

But so far, I haven't stranded anyone there yet, or have someone slept on the floor in the terminal.

The key is to know your alternatives and options. The more knowledgeable you are about the situation, the better you can get the airline agent to help you, quickly.

And of course, if you have an important meeting to go to, or is getting married (or something like that), then you need to fly to your destination a day or two early.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 01:58 PM

rkkwan has it right. Get informed before youy fly. Know some alternate routes, airlines, times in case there is a problem. Even better, if there is someone at home experienced at travel booking, while you are standing in line to get rebooked, call them and have them get on-line and see what is available. This also works if you are at the airport, see your flight is delayed, and no one will tell you anything - person on computer (or you if you travel with a laptop) can always get more info.

And while you are standing in line to get rebooked, call the Delta customer service number on your cell phone - that is usually faster and the people are usually more knowledgeable.

Can't tell you how to worry - but travel prepared. Make sure you have a snack, something to do, cell phone. In past months it works better to just assume something will go wrong with flights.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM
P_M

Either my luggage or I have missed connections more times than I can possibly count. That's why I always know in advance when the next flight will leave, especially when I have a tight layover. And if it does happen, you might be able to squeeze some free frequent flyer points our of it. ;-)
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM

As long as you fly with P_M, you'll be fine. I have only learned one thing on this forum, and that was it.

Hahaha... Sorry, P_M! I can't resist that one!!!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:59 PM

I mean as long as you <b>don't</b> fly with P_M.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM
P_M

I knew exactly what you meant. There's a growing membership in the &quot;I refuse to fly with P_M&quot; club.