Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Standby on AA question - rather than a redeye, go earlier in the day...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave in 2 wks for MCO from SEA on an 11:40 p.m. flight, connecting in DFW. I was told to call in that morning to see if it was possible to standby for an earlier flight. (There are several). Having never done this before, I have 3 questions. 1) Some of the earlier flights leave quite early, say 6:00 a.m., and we are over an hour from the airport. Is it possible to call the night before to see if it is possible to standby?; 2) we are not "elite" flyers, just regular folks with very few AA miles in our accounts - are we pretty much eliminated from any standby chance?; and 3) if we get on an earlier flight from SEA-DFW, then are we standing by again from DFW-MCO???
Thanks for any help...
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 04:46 PM

Yes, you will be able to standby for earler flight. Just remember, you are stanby, so even if an AA agent tells you that it looks good, it's not a guarantee. There are instances when a 1/2 empty plane gets filled up. Earlier flight gets cancelled, weather delays, etc...etc... In cases like that you get pushed back to the end of the list.
Yes also to the DFW-MCO question. You will also be standby for any earlier flights.

The good news is that AA has about 12 daily flights from SEA-DFW and about 6 afternoon/evening DFW-MCO flights. You should be able to hit Disney that evening

Good luck!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

I also wondered if we can do this with luggage, and whether it helps to use the online check-in well in advance of the flight. (I read that on flyertalk).
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:58 AM

If I were flying stand-by, I would make my luggage just be carry on for sure!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 03:17 PM

I got a free AA ticket (pia to las) when TWA shut down. Lucky for me, we got a snow day off from school and I was able to beat it out of town before the really bad weather hit. I went to the pia airport very early (6 am) to see if I could leave earlier than my free ticket said (6pm instead of 6am) and was fortunate to be able to do so. I would say there are no guarantees but it's worth the try.