rkkwan continental question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Is an hour and fifteen minutes enough time to connect in Cleveland?
Our layover was 3 hours and is now an hour and fifteen. We are traveling in June from RIC to CDG through Cleveland.
I figure you are the continental expert and might have some past experiences in cleveland.
Thanks
We are all on FF tickets
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually haven't flown through CLE since I was a baby, but 1:15 is fine for CLE. It's not a large airport, and flights are usually on-time.

Your flight will depart RIC at either 2:32p or 2:45p, I think. The aircraft will come in from either Newark or Houston (but not Cleveland), departing noon or prior, so it's unlikely they will be significantly late into RIC.

So, I won't worry about it.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I know when I booked those FF tickets so far in advance things would change. I just don't like to cut it too closely. I have run through many an airport and it is not fun!
Thanks again
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM

If you're uncomfortable with the connection, you can call and ask to be changed to a connection via EWR or IAH. They won't necessarily give it to you, but you can try asking.

Not a bad excuse to avoid the 757-200 across the Atlantic. The Houston flight and one of the Newark flights are on the 777-200.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM

CLE isn't that big and it's very easy to navigate. I suspect your flights will arrive and depart thru concourse C. Very easy.

June shouldn't bring bad weather at RIC or CLE but you never know.

Rkkwan's advice about switching to EWR or IAH is a sensible option and one worth pursuing since CO has changed your schedule.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. The option of going through Newark has the flights from RIC about 50% on schedule. If I am correct, they cancel those flights quite regularly. I am also less happy about going to Houston, to turn around and fly over RIC to go back to France.
The postives of changing would be a later arrival in Paris. So, more of a night flight. We are leaving at 5pm (approx) from CLE and arriving at 7am. Not a lot of sleep on that flight...
I will think about this some more, but I am grateful for the input.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Just checked again and most of the flights RIC to EWR are only 30% on time. That is bad. There is only one flight from EWR that is on the 777. The other two are on the same 757 I am on from CLE. So, I think I will leave it as is. Thanks again.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 08:21 AM

I would not trade a CLE connection for an EWR connection. Due to greater size and rampant delays, that 1:15 connection at CLE would need to be at least 2 hours at EWR, just to be even. So, unless you really want a 3 hour connection, I would go with CLE and keep my fingers crossed.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM

I agree. I'll stick to CLE myself.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 09:11 AM

We flew Continental last month and had a 53 minute connection in Cleveland. We landed a few minutes early and had plenty of time to use the rest rooms, stand in line at Starbucks, and get to the next departure gate, which was a bit of a hike. Our bags even arrived with us!

Coming home, we connected in Newark. Awful airport! Our flight was the last of the day and was cancelled due to weather. We ended up renting a car and driving home (to NH). Good thing, because we learned on the way that we had been rescheduled to a Tuesday flight (from Saturday).

But, you never know...
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I will keep the CLE connection.
I grew up in NJ so I know the EWR airport!