- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Ca' d'Oro Review
One of the postcard sights of Venice, this exquisite Venetian Gothic palace was once literally a "Golden House," when its marble traceries and ornaments were embellished with gold. It was created by Giovanni and Bartolomeo Bon between 1428 and 1430 for the patrician Marino Contarini, who had read about the Roman emperor Nero's golden house in Rome, and wished to imitate it as a present to his wife. Her family owned the land and the Byzantine fondaco (palace- trading house) previously standing on it; you can still see the round Byzantine arches on the entry porch incorporated into the Gothic building. The last proprietor, Baron Giorgio Franchetti, left Ca' d'Oro to the city, after having had it carefully restored and furnished with antiquities, sculptures, and paintings that today make up the Galleria Franchetti. Besides Andrea Mantegna's St. Sebastian and other Venetian works, the Galleria Franchetti contains the type of fresco that once adorned the exteriors of Venetian buildings (commissioned by those who could not afford a marble facade). One such detached fresco displayed here was made by the young Titian for the façade of the Fondaco dei Tedeschi near the Rialto.
- Address: Calle Ca' d'Oro, Cannaregio 3933, Cannaregio, Venice, 30135 | Map It
- Phone: 041/5238790
- Cost: €6, plus €1.50 to reserve; €8 when there is a special exhibition.
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 8:15–7:15, Mon. 8:15–2. Closed Sun. in Jan.
- Website: www.cadoro.org
- Vaporetto: Vaporetto: Ca' d'Oro.
- Location: Cannaregio
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We've rented out our house for another three months and have hit the road. Read more
We drove to the Hotel Bonconte in Urbino - another hotel not easy to find. Read more
We're taking a trip to Europe this summer for my 16 year old daughter to sing with her high school choir in London (3 days), Paris (2 days), Florence (1 day), and Rome (3 days) and taking our 11 and 13 Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more