- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Roman ruins Review
There are two broad fields of Roman ruins, both in the center of town. Like a tiny Roman forum, the Maison des Messii (Messii House) spreads over the field and hillside in the heart of town. Closest to the entrance, the foundations of the Maison des Messii retain the outlines of its sumptuous design. A formal garden echoes similar landscaping in ancient times; wander between its cypresses and flowering shrubs to the Musée Archéologique Théo-Desplans (Théo-Desplans Archaeology Museum). In this streamlined venue the accoutrements of Roman life have been amassed and displayed by theme: pottery, weapons, representations of gods and goddesses, jewelry, and sculpture.
Cross the park behind the museum to climb into the bleachers of the first-century theater, which is smaller than Orange's but is still used today for concerts and plays. Across the parking lot is the Quartier de la Villasse, where the remains of a lively market town evoke images of main-street shops, public gardens, and grand private homes, with floor mosaics. The most evocative image of all is in the area of the thermes (baths): a neat row of marble-seat toilets.
- Address: Av. Général-de-Gaulle at Pl. du 11 Novembre, Vaison-la-Romaine, 84110 | Map It
- Phone: 04–90–36–02–11
- Cost: €8
- Hours: Tourist office: June, weekdays 9:30–5:45, Sat. 9:30–5:45, Sun. 9:30–12; July and Aug., weekdays 9:30–6:45, weekends 9:30–6:45; Apr., May, and Sept.–mid-Oct., Mon.–Sat. 9:30–5:45 and Sun. 9–12; mid-Oct.–Mar., Mon.–Sat. 9:30–5:45
- Website: www.vaison-ventoux-tourisme.com
- Location: Vaison-la-Romaine
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
WARNING: This trip report will be dry (not as in witty, but as in the text book you repeatedly drooled over in college), possibly long-winded, and totally ignore most restaurants in Paris. Read more
Hi fellow Fodorites, based on a recommendation from one of you I am booking this apartment in the Canal St. Read more
· News & Features
Gorgeous villa in Provence with a cool, cultural backstory? ... Read more
If the scent of olive trees, honey, and flowers is in the air, you've made it to Aix-en-Provence.... Read more
We travel for many reasons, not the least of which is to experience a new way of life.... Read more