Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Maui for an unforgettable vacation

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Anna White

My husband and I are planning a trip to Maui for the end of May. We do not have children and would rather be around other adults. Our interests include snorkeling, great food and wine, other outdoor activites. We are willing to pay for a nice vacation, but obviously do not want to spend more than we have to. We've been looking at the Four Seasons and Key Lani which sound good, but maybe overpriced. Kaanapali Beach sounds interesting as well. Help! We are in much need of a good vactation.
Anna and Rajiv

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 01:35 PM
George

The Four Seasons Maui is the island's best hotel.
90% of polls of any type printed in the past year will report exactly that.
The only reason I mention this is that any one person's opinion may not be representative of the average, but when poll after poll says the same thing, that's usually indicative of something meaningful.
I've stayed there several times and would not stay anywhere else on Maui.
Have you considered the FS Big Island? It's even better.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 03:33 PM
tcapp

We definatly prefer the smaller, more intimate places on Maui. We like the Napili Sunset condos. Website:www.napilisunset.com

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:14 PM
xxx

There are lots of kids at the Four Seasons maui. I don't know if there are any quiet hotels in Maui anymore but in my experience Kapalua Bay Hotel has been the most quiet. Also is the end of May a must? That's when the little ones are getting out of school. I stayed at the FS over the 4th of July and it was a madhouse. Please note there is no adults only pool, every restaurant has a kids menu, their own breakfast buffet, and toys at the table for children to play with and a kids club program. If you really, really want peace and quiet you may want to consider another island. P.S. www.luxurylink.com runs a 6 night special on the Kapalua Bay Hotel that runs approx 250/nt ocv rm w/ breakfast.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:29 PM
wish

4 nights at Kapalua to see that part of the island, 3nights in Hana, if you enjoy solitude and adventure, at the Homoa Bay House, and then the Grand Finale 4 nights at the Four Seasons, on the other end of the island...this way you get the feel of each part of the island!!! Oh how we love it there!!!!!!!!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 09:20 AM
xxxx

One of my most memorable and relaxing vacations (and no kids to be seen) was at the Hotel Hana Resort. Romantic and quiet.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:35 AM
colleen

My husband and I had a FABULOUS and QUIET maui getaway in early December at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua. This was a special trip for us and I had researched where to stay for the perfect vacation for a long time. The Ritz is an elegant 5 star hotel located on one of the most beautiful and secluded (but not totally quiet) parts of Maui-Kapalua. Very green with championship golf, breathtaking beaches and about 10-15 min away from the action at Kanaapali and Lahania (which were also quiet when we visited-it was great!!). The staff at the Ritz is amazing-friendly and very attentive to take care of your needs. The restaurants are excellent-with amazing views of the ocean and Molokai.Valet parking, huge rooms with big lanais, beautiful 3 tier pool with private cabanas(perfect for lazing around all afternoon with maitais),excellent spa services(I had a ocean front massage),tennis and golf, and a beautiful beach right on the grounds(with a great little restaurant looking over).We had looked into the Four Seasons (which also looks amazing and i am sure it is) however I am glad we didn't only for the location-Wailea is very desert looking and ugly. Great shopping at the Shops of Wailea though!
There were also no kids in sight at the Ritz-just adults enjoying their vacations!! I have heard that the 4 Seasons can be overrun with children at times. Have a great trip-we are going back to the Ritz this year(2003).

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:52 PM
jan

Stayed twice at the Aston Kanapali Shores and loved it. We have no kids and we went during October. No kids on signt. Loved this hotel. We had a 1 bedroom oceanview condo. Great views of the ocean & mountains. This property has a tennis court, restaurant, fitness room, small arcade room. Rooms are big with living room, bedroom, and kitchen. We enjoyed the kitchen for breakfast. Was able to sit on the Lanai and have breakfast. Loved the location. Close to the action and attractions.
Have fun

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Debbie

My husband and I have have no children and have stayed many times in Kaanapali. We've stayed at an oceanfront condo called the Aston Mahana. Every room has an oceanview. A very relaxing condo that is within minutes of excellent dining. Try Roy's Kahana, David Paul's Lahaina Grill and Avalon- you'll love the food.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Karen

I have been staying at the Maui Kai just north of the Kaanapali complex for 20 years. All rooms are ocean front and privatly owned so they eacy have their own personality. They have full kitchens with everything you could want. It is fun to eat out but is also fun to grill up some fresh local fish and dine on your own private lanai. I believe thier web site is www.mauikai.com