First timers

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

First timers

My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in September for our 10 year anniversary. This will be our first trip to Hawaii. We are deciding between the Big Island and Maui for a 7 day stay. We would like to stay in an upscale resort with proximity to nice beaches, shopping, and dining. We will probably rent a car. I realize that we probably cannot make a "bad" choice when choosing between Maui and the BI, but other traveler's experiences and advice regarding places to stay and eat will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Maui has far better and more numerous beaches (the Big Island is much younger, and is still developing them). Many of the beaches on the BI at the grand resorts are barged in from other places with spare sand. Maui likely has a far better array of fine shopping and dining, though the upscale resorts on the BI have first rate reputations. I personally think Maui is far prettier and offers more activities involving human interaction than the BI. If you choose Maui, you may want to investigate Wailea, a low-rise, toney planned community of small beaches, dry weather, great hotels, dining and shopping, as well as the Kapalua area, with spectacular views of Molokai and Lanai, great golf and scenery, featuring two highly regarded resorts, The Ritz Carlton and the Kapalua Bay Hotel. Gets a lot of rain. If you like long beaches and high-rise living you might look at Ka'anapali.
I personally think that once you've seen the volcano, the feral donkeys and Green Sand Beach, you've seen the Big Island. The rest looks like broken up asphalt, though doubtless you will receive contrary opinions.
Once you choose an island you might receive more detailed information about specific lodging and dining options.
You will need and want a car on either island.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 03:52 PM

I'm a Big Island devotee, but I must say for a first-timer, Maui is the better choice. It is more like the "dream Hawaii" you are probably envisioning in your mind--plus it's smaller and more easily navigated. It's also a lot of fun, and there's plenty of things to do. I'd choose the Wailea resort area in Maui; my favorite hotel there is the Four Seasons.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Now that I've been to all the islands, I'd say nix both the BI and Maui and go to Kauai. It is more beautiful than all the other islands put together. It has many activities to offer, great resorts, and restaurants. It is a gorgeous, laid back paradise. I'll never go to Maui again. I'm so happy we spent our 10th there!!!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:56 PM

Kauai is my favorite island now, but it took me like 20 years to finally get there. I fell in love with Maui and that was that...until this past summer. Now I am a bit like Mellyz, I can't imagine wanting to go to another island. Hotels on Maui that I like are the Napili Kai Beach Club, Kapalua Bay Hotel, Sheraton Maui, Maui Prince and the Hotel Hana Maui. I have not been to the Ritz, Kea Lani or the 4S.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:04 PM

I'd say go to Maui. It's just awesome.
Beautiful place!! I'm hooked on Maui. Been there more than once. Wailea is the most upscale resort area in Maui.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:45 PM

eh...humm...let's see...ahhh MAUI!

Agree for the first timer Maui....like stated above 'dream hawaii'. Kauai is a good choice too. Depends on what activites are more important.

[Personally, I am a B.I. [[Hilo]] person. But, I like the lesser crowded and rural areas!]
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:44 AM

SO...Get your feet wet with Maui, then try the Big Island for your next vacation. They are two totally different experiences!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:58 AM

My wife and were in the same dilema as you. We chose Maui. Spent ten days there for our 25th anniversary. We had such a great time we are planning to go back again this year.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Both are great choices know now that you are making a great selection with either choice.

If if were me I would go to the big island but again only if the volcano is flowing. Gotta see that at night!!!. I also enjoy hiking and waipio valley looks pretty extraordinary.

Maui is still a great choice. You really need to look through a couple of guides and base this on your interest. Maui has more accessible beaches, Royal Lahaina Lua. It is better suited for a week stay because of its smaller size. Bigisland has tremendous landscape sights. You have Mauna Kea, Kilueau, Waipip, City of Refuge.

The guides I would check out are Dougherty books by wizard publications. Also lonely planet for the photos but the historical content for Hawaii has mistakes from my experience. ALOHA DALINKS
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:20 AM

My husband and I went to Maui for our Honeymoon this past Sept/Oct and it was absolutely wonderful. We stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea and had an outstanding time. It was in a quiet location, the pools and beach were awesome and the staff was so helpful and knowledgable. I'd definitely pick Maui and the Kea Lani again!