Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon: How Much Time on Lanai vs. Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 02:38 PM
gina

My fiance and I have finally decided that we'll be heading to Hawaii for our honeymoon (original idea, right?). We think we'll be staying somewhere between 10 and 14 days. We've decided to start our stay on Lanai at the Lodge at Keole, where we can relax and do nothing. We also know we want to end our stay with 5 nights at the Four Seasons Wailea on Maui - but probably won't be able to afford many more nights than that.

Now - the question is, what (if anything) should we do in the middle? We are trying to decide how many days to do on Lanai, and whether it makes sense to stay at both the Lodge and Manale Bay. Can we stay on Lanai for more than 4 or 5 days before going out of our minds with boredom? If not, should we try to hit another island before heading to Maui, or stay at a less-expensive resort in Maui before heading to the Four Seasons? Last year we spent 5 days in Maui but could have stayed much longer.

We've been to the Big Island and didn't love it as much as Maui - and probably wouldn't want to return...

Anyone care to weigh in with their suggestions? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 04:09 PM
catherine

We just got back from Lanai and Maui a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at the Manele Bay Hotel for 3 nights. I would highly recommend staying there. We were told that the rooms were slightly larger than the Lodge. Maybe split your time as you suggested. But not too much to do over there (or too many places to eat). As far as Maui, this was our 3rd time and we loved the Wailea area. I think staying at the Four Seasons the whole time would be great. There are some beautiful beaches in the Wailea area.
Also, we styed at the Orchid at Mauna Lani on the Big Island about a year and a half ago - we loved it. We took a helicopter tour over the volcano and saw many beautiful waterfalls.
Maui and Lanai will be beautiful however you do it, though. Hope that helps!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 05:46 PM
xxx

Hi Gina:

Last month my husband and I spent 15 nights on Maui and Lanai. We spent 4 nights at Manele Bay (the max for that island, I think!) then took the ferry to Lahaina. We then spent 2 nights at the Lahaina Inn. Then we drove to Hana and spent 4 nights at the Hotel Hana Maui followed by the last 5 nights at the Four Seasons.

Staying in Lahaina for a few nights was fun. The Hotel Hana Maui is a great hotel, and the Four Seasons all luxury and pampering.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Donna

Dear Gina, Seeing and doing all that Hawaii has to offer is my passion. Lanai is a wonderful island but it is tiny and many people are bored to death there. If you are looking for restaurants, shopping, and site seeing, you won't find it on Lanai. What you will find are friendly people who will know your name as soon as you arrive and a place to escape from the world. The weather at the Manele is usually preferred to that at the Koele but for fine dining take the bus to the Koele. If I was going to stay on Maui for very many days, I would devide my time between the Ka'anapali area and the Wailea area. If you want to see Hawaii's most beautiful island then you should visit Kauai. The view from the pool at the Princeville Resort is fantastic/unbelieveable and the Hyatt in Poipu is the Hawaii of your dreams. Donna

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Roy

When you're in Maui be sure to take in the show "Warren and Annabelle's" in Lahaina. It's a fabulous night that you two will never regret. Buy directly from the theatre and take the full package rather than buying from one of the tour stands around the island. Have fun! Good luck!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:09 PM
gyppielou

we are heading out tomorrow for 5 nights in Kaanapali, 4 nights in Lanai at the lodge, which we can move down if we choose when we get there...can't make that decision until we see the resorts, and then 5 nights in Wailea....I'll post my opinion when I get back!!!

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this post as I've always wanted to visit Lanai too. Logistical question for anyone who has been to Lanai from Maui: usually we'd fly into Maui and rent a car the whole time. What do you do with the car when you want to take the ferry to Lanai? What happens when you come back from the ferry and want to spend a few more nights on Maui? Would you just rent from Kahului Airport and then return at Lahaina and then do the reverse when you come back? Does anyone know if the cost of this is greater than when you rent and return at the same location? Thanks!
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tifa2276-

This is a 10 year-old post that was resurrected by a spammer.

You woudl be far better off to start a new post.