Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Splitting a stay in Maui: Wailea and Kaanapali?

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
If my fiance and I honeymoon in Hawaii, I am undecided on whether to do 2 islands or just 1. We have around 10 days, and would by flying from boston, so I don't know if it's better to just relax on 1 island or hop to a second. Anyways, if we decide on Hawaii and doing just 1 island, it would most likely be Maui. My question is this: Are Wailea and Kaanapali different enough areas of the island that it is worth splitting a stay, say 5 days each? I know Kaanapali is very busy, is Wailea quieter? We would be looking for a nice mixture of romance but also plenty to do if we so chose. Is Maui completely built up, or are there still many natural, beautiful areas as well? Any suggestions on resorts are also welcomed! Thanks!
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:11 PM

There are lots of things to do in Maui. It is built up in some areas but still lovely and beautiful and there are many natural, untouched areas to explore. Since I don't like to pack and unpack, I'd pick one place and stay there the whole time. In my opinion I'd stay in Wailea and travel to Kannapali when you want to. You'll need a rent a car wherever you stay so it's not that big of a deal. The drive between the two is about 40 minutes, but it's beautiful and mostly along the ocean - literally. Wailea is quieter and has more of a secluded feel to it. Kannapali is pretty busy and more obviously crowded than Wailea seems. But in Kannapali there is more going on, more nightlife.

I would suggest staying a night or two in Hana. The drive there is long and gorgeous and if you plan to spend a night or two there (more than that would probably be too much - there's really not much to do over there but relax) you won't feel rushed.

In any event, you'll love Maui and all it has to offer. It's a beautiful island.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 04:32 PM

Despite having a professed love of Maui and knowing 10 days is a good amount of time to devote to it, I did see your original post re Hawaii vs. Caribbean. And I think it would be ideal for you to visit one other island...Kauai, Oahu or the Big Island (rec 6nts on Maui and 4 nts elsewhere). Since you're flying out all this way, it just makes more sense to capture as much of the Hawaiian Aloha experience as possible. And I figure by your 8th day on Maui, you'll be wondering "what else should I do on Maui, and I wonder what it's like on ______."

But if you decide to stay all 10 days in Maui, that's great as well! I would take bashfulLV's advice and spend 2 nights in Hana between 4 night stays in both Wailea and Kaanapali (or Kapalua).

If you have to decide between Wailea and Kaanapali, I'd first factor in which other island you plan to visit. If you decide upon Oahu because of its many activities and nightlife at Waikiki, then I'd go for relaxation on Maui and choose Wailea. If you plan to visit Kauai or the BI for relaxation and scenic beauty/volcano, then I'd opt for Kaanapali to balance out your HM (since it's close to Lahaina). No matter which area you choose, either one would lend themselves to a very enjoyable experience on Maui.

And to answer some of your questions you asked:
Yes, it would be worth splitting a long stay in Maui
Yes, Wailea is a bit quieter
And NO, Maui is not completely built-up. I would not consider Kapalua and Makena, two desirable resort areas, all that developed (and hopefully they will remain this way).
There are too many natural, beautiful areas on Maui to count...NW Maui, all along the Road to Hana, Haleakala Nat'l Park, Iao Valley, La Perouse Bay and plenty more. But some of those areas I mentioned can get overrun with tourists, so venture away from the crowds if at all possible. I find that it's when I'm far from the crowds that I can best enjoy the beautiful, romantic atmosphere of Hawaii that I've always envisioned. And a good book like Maui Revealed can help you find those treasured spots.

Best wishes on your upcoming wedding and hope you have a fabulous honeymoon!
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 04:57 PM
bquarre

Glad to hear you are thinking of staying on just one island. Maui would be a good choice for your first time. As far as locales go, I perfer Kapalua (Kapalua Bay Hotel) to Kaanapali and I like the remoteness of Makena (Maui Prince or Makena Surf condos) which is further south from Wailea. I do love Hana, however as has been noted on this site before, Hana is not for everyone, but a two night stay at the Hotel Hana Ranch in their Sea Ranch Cottage with a spa would be a great way to spend part of your honeymoon. Be sure to read up on Hana before you decide on an overnight as it is really remote. If you decide on Kaanapali, try to stay somewhere closer to Black Rock as the beach tends to be nicer and the swimming better on that end. Have fun planning!

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:13 PM

Yes, I would split a 10 day stay on Maui between Wailea and Kaanapali/Kapalua. I have been to Maui at least 20 times and much prefer the
quieter Wailea resort area to the busy Kaanapali area.

Maybe you could toss in one night in Hana.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:25 PM

Wauilea is a beautiful area of Maui.however Kanapali and North is much greener then the south end. But as far as beaches...can't beat Wailea or Kanapali. As far as crowds..they can be crowded in both areas. Mega resorts are also in both areas. But for variety of nightlife as well..the northern area has Whalers Village and Lahinna etc. Its crowded but no worse then any other part of Island where the restaurants are. Hana is simply amazing. But you must stay if you really want to enjoy the long drive there and back. By the way ..the back road which is unpaved for a while is quite bumpy and very dry. But ANY RENTAL car can drive on it ..unless it just rained.....