Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite city to take a fam vaca we will go there, please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
We are planning on going somehwere stateside next month on a family vaca with my kids. We want to go to any city and just explore. We have been to Boston, Seattle, DC, st. louis (which was a great fun surprise) kansas city and flying out of Vegas. Any thoughts? Picked St. Louis last year and loved it so many things to do and see with teens and kids. Thanks so much in advance! Where is your fav place and shy?
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 12:32 AM

Of course,the obvious is NYC, or how about San Diego or San Francisco? Lots to do in those three...
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 02:03 AM

agree with SusieQQ
NYC weather might be a little cold/rainy/snowy in March but if you don't mind the weather there is a lot to do. San Diego's weather would probably be much better. Our family trip was in late January and included a great whale watch. Check to see if March is a good time to see whale migration. San Diego zoo is always popular. DH and DS loved the air and space museum better than the one in DC. Fun to explore Old Town area. DS was a young teen at the time so we had to see places in the Tom Cruise film about the Navy pilot.
If it weren't for weather in March, I would also pick Chicago. On the one day I could have visited the museums I went shopping instead but a family went to the museum that was recommended to me and said they spent the whole day and were going back the next. I think it was the museum of science and industry but you have several choices.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 04:23 AM

Savannah or Charleston, or Savannah AND Charleston. Decent weather in March, and both cities are picturesque, historically significant, full of tourist activities, and of a nice manageable size.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 04:24 AM
cd

I would choose San Francisco, so much to explore! And if the weather permits, take the 4hr drive to Yosemite!
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Amy

Philadelphia is full of kid-friendly things to do, plus great food; my sixteen nieces and nephews had a wonderful time here even in the midst of very cold weather:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ot-of-kids.cfm

And here are some ideas on what to do here, as well as the food list!

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-itinerary.cfm

and then there's the food one: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...iladelphia.cfm

The Please Touch museum in the lovely Memorial Hall is wonderful for little ones, and the Parkway museums (Academy of Natural Sciences, Franklin Institute) as well as the U of PA Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology are great for all ages.

Happy planning!
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Mom of 5 -

A lot depends on how old your kids are.

NYC is obvious if you've never been here - but if the kids are small March is not the best time - spring or fall is better (March is still winter in NYC - usually not a lot of snow but you never know - it's been a long, cold and snowy winter). As for why -- something for everyone - and a lot of htings you can;t get anyplace else.

Based on weather San Diego would be nice - but if you have more than 4 or 5 days you would need to add other places.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Agree with everything that's been suggested -- they'd all be good choices -- but you first have to decide 1) small cities (NY, Philadelphia, etc.) vs. 2) small (Savannah, Charleston), 2) driving vs. no driving. I might add Los Angeles and do both San Diego and Los Angeles but only if you'll have a car.
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Oops - make that BIG cities vs. small!
Old Feb 20th, 2010, 08:48 PM

I think san diego could sustain one's interest for more than 4-5 days. We have Sea World, Legoland, the world famous zoo, and the Wild Animal Park, each of which could take the better part of a day. Then there's Balboa Park itself which has more museums than I can recite that can take another full day. There are sports outings like Petco Park, Qualcomm stadium, plus golf or tennis or hiking.

There are so many quaint charming towns/communities that make up San Diego.... coronado, La Jolla, Ocean Beach/Point Loma, Mission Beach/Pacific Beach, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad, and others....each of these I can spend 3 hours plus shopping, strolling and exploring. And, of course, the downtown Gaslamp area chock-full of restaurants and shops, and Horton plaza etc. There is Old Town, Hillcrest, Mission Hills, and Little Italy. You could hop on the train and take a scenic ride up to San Juan Capistrano for a day trip which is also delightful. I believe March is a good time for a trek to the Anza Borrego desert to see the desert blooms. After 21 years here, I still haven't found the time to do this.... maybe this year.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM

Do not take a family vacation to Las Vegas!!! So not a good idea...

NYC would be my choice.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM

San Diego!
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM

San Francisco is everyone's favorite city! There is so much to do, the views are great, and there is great food everywhere.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:49 AM

I am votiing for San Francisco as well. Fodor's San Francisco expert StuDudley has written an extensive posting on what to do, where to eat and stay on SF. You can locate by searching the forums for San Francisco or StuDudley.

San Diego would be my second choice. Weather wins in San Diego, activities win in San Francisco.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:59 AM

If you choose the East, NYC, hands-down. Must add that we took our young teenagers to NYC one year in April and it rained (hard!) for much of our stay. We still walked, took the subway, and thoroughly enjoyed it! The Museum of Natural History is not to be missed.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:17 AM

Chicago! Great musuems, aquarium, mercantile center, food, sports, hotels, Magnificent Mile (shoppping), Navy Pier, American Girl store, shows, very easy to get around without a car, pizza,
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:23 AM

We live in San Diego and it's a great family town (the Zoo, Legoland, Harbor cruises, Old Spanish Missions, National Ball Park games, ocean & bay sports - surfing, swimming, kayaking, sailing, tide pool exploring, and good weather year round.

However, some of our favorite family trips have been touring an area of the country. One year we spent driving through the south - started in New Orleans, drove thru Missississippi on the Natchez trail, went to Atlanta, Charleston, down to Northern Florida.

One year it was the North East (NYC, Boston, up to Maine).
These types of trips are extremely fun and you really learn a lot about the history, culture and geography of an area.