westin or embassy suites Portland Oregon???

Jan 15th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

westin or embassy suites Portland Oregon???

They are the same price but which would be a better location and comfort?? Can't decide since trip advisior has ES as number 1???? Or is there another recommendation???
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Other recommendation - http://www.5thavenuesuites.com/

Thought I heard somewhere that the Fifth Avenue Suites was going to be renamed by Kimpton, but can't find anything on it.
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM

I'm a local so haven't stayed in either, but I like the Embassy Suites location better for what's immediately around it. The Westin, though, is closer to the Pearl District and the streetcar, so it's a good choice too.

Scarlett and mms, both regular (well, maybe not so anymore) posters here, usually recommend Fifth Ave. Suites as the best in Portland. But it's going through some renovations now, so check status of that before booking.

My wife and I would recommend Hotel DeLuxe, which recently opened under that name in an historic Portland hotel building (the Mallory). DeLuxe has a sort of retro-chic Hollywood theme; done very nicely. But for a first-time or infrequent visitor, it may not be such a great location.
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Ordinarily I would say the Westin but there is a huge construction site in front of the hotel and still very noisy and dirty and ruins the view.

So I would say Embassy Suites, have not stayed there but they get rave reviews.

The bus mall work began today so I am unsure of how quiet it will be at the 5th Ave Suites.
They will be a Monaco Hotel, there was a write up in out paper not long ago also.
Just mostly decorating, bringing the hotel up to the standards of a 4 star hotel..they want to be the only 4 star hotel in Portland
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
mms

We will be staying at the 5th Avenue Suites again soon. I can let you know how it is for noise if you like. When is your trip?
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

We are visiting friends in the middle of March on the coast and will have some time to spend on our own. We have points at the westin and like the heavenly beds so let me know of what you think of the bedding and location of the 5th ave suites? Thanks so much. The 5th ave suites was also one that I had considered because trip advisior has it at 2nd position.
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:37 PM
mms

The location and the bedding are great. The hotel is doing sort of a cosmetic makeover. It was great before, so am anxious to see it now! One night feature of the hotel is their valet parking, it is underground. This comes in nice when it is rainy out (which in March is a very real possibility). When we have stayed here, we have always just left our car parked and walked all over.
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:55 PM

For location, I would pick the Westin and for comfort, Embassy Suites.

However, we much prefer 5th Avenue Suites to the Westin. (I understand Kimpton is adding 5th Avenue Suites to its Monaco brand.)

Jan 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM

The 5th Avenue Suites will become a Kimpton Monaco Hotel. I know because I have a family member who is quite involved in this project. Portland, I love that city! Have fun jlsayre.
Jan 15th, 2007, 06:49 PM

The beds are great! I have stayed at the 5th Ave Suites over about 30 nights and never had a bad nights sleep.
We will be staying there again in the spring, when we will be between homes for a week or so..they are a dog friendly hotel (as are all Kimpton hotels)..
Btw-I got an email from the hotel regarding specials, check and see if you are eligible for whenever you are going to be here ..