Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Portland Downtown Hotel or Westin Portland?

Apr 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM
mjz
Original Poster

I'm going to be staying in Portland for a few nights on the backend of a trip to the Oregon Coast. Can anyone recommend one of the hotels listed above over the other? I have status with both Hilton and Starwood. Typically, Westin is better than Embassy Suites, but this Embassy Suites seems to be one of the chains better properties.

Thanks in advance.
Apr 11th, 2005, 03:11 PM

The Westin has a more central location; Embassy Suites has more spacious rooms.

The Embassy Suites has been converted from a historic hotel; the Westin is rather new.

I prefer the central location of the Westin to the Embassy Suites and the breakfast they serve in a basement dining room.
Apr 11th, 2005, 03:31 PM

I guess it depends on what you mean by "central." The Embassy Suites is in downtown Portland near the MAX (light rail) stop and very close to Saturday Market and Tom McCall Waterfront Park. The Westin is also fairly close to MAX and is right off Broadway. But you're talking only about five short blocks or walking distance from the Westin to the Embassy Suites.

So I'd say both are in great locations. I've stayed at neither one, however.
Apr 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
dona

We stayed at the Westin in Portland and liked it. Good location and nice rooms with great bathrooms. Ask for room high up with a view of the city.

Apr 11th, 2005, 04:12 PM

I've also stayed at the Westin and it's nice. The hotel isn't too big, so there's a cozy feel that's not often present at larger Westins.

I doubt even the best Embassy Suites can come even close to the level of a Westin, other than room size.
Apr 11th, 2005, 05:03 PM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple of nights about two years ago and found it to be very nice. It was definately better than any of the other Embassy Suites I have stayed at. We walked to several nice restaurants in the area and thought the lobby was very pretty. Never stayed at the Westin, so can't compare. If you can get a better deal at the Embassy Suites I would go with it and save my money!
Apr 11th, 2005, 05:32 PM
mjz
Original Poster

Thanks to all. I'll stick with my original reservation at the Westin. The Westin is actually cheaper ($99) than the Embassy Suites ($119). I like the modern looks of the Portland Westin, plus I've never been let down at any Westin. I'll request a high room with a city view. Hopefully my status will afford us an upgrade to a junior suite.

Thanks again.