What is the nicest hotel in Portland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for high-end accomodations for just 1 night.
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:53 AM

I'm not sure if this makes it the nicest, but when the President visits, he always stays at the Benson Hotel, as do most celebrity visitors. But maybe that just means it has good security!!
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Of course, I'm assuming you mean Portland, Oregon. If not, then disregard my post!
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM

5th Avenue Suites has large, comfortable rooms with a good restaurant downstairs and many more nearby. See Kimpton.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Since I live here, I don't normally stay in hotels. However, a week ago I had girlfriends from out of state visiting and we stayed in downtown. We chose the 5th Avenue Suites and loved it! The location is ideal, very central and walkable to everywhere. Our rooms were beautifully decorated and well appointed. The service was great all around...valet, front desk, etc. We had a late dinner at the restaurant, the Red Star Tavern, and that was very nice as well. My girlfriends were very pleased and we are already planning another weekend there.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Having stayed at the 5th Avenue Suites for 10 days last fall and planning another 10 day trip there soon, I can only suggest the 5th Avenue Suites
Large luxurious and clean and modern rooms, great service and the Red Starr is excellent for breakfast, tea/cocktails and dinners. And when we move there, Pup is welcome! He will have to post his own review ((&))
The Heathman looks great from the lobby. But the Kimpton customer care is so great, I have no need to look elsewhere..
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Kal

...tick...tick....tick......

((&))((&))((&))((&))
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Hello Kal, I understand your message, LOL.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Kal

Capiche, bella?

We're looking into The Governor for when Ms. Scarlett comes out.
We want to stay with all the other old fogies. LOL!
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Kal

wait a min....not to say Ms Scarlett and the Yank are old fogies.....

Oh...nevermind...It's Monday!!!
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:41 PM

I'm a resident too so usually don't have reason to stay in Portland hotels, but I have stayed at the Heathman. Scarlett's right, it looks great from the lobby, but the room reminded me of a room at the Waldorf Astoria a few years back. I didn't want to fully open the door for fear of hitting the bed.

Judging by outside and common area/lobby appeal, in addition to 5th Avenue Suites, Vintage Plaza and Hotel Lucia might be worth a look. Both are in great locations. I like the Governor too, but it might not be as high-end as you'd like.
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:53 PM

Good deals on room rates are usually available at www.travelportland.com.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:36 PM

I have stayed in many of the hotels in Portland, but not the Governor.

5th Avenue Suites is my favorite. Wonderful bright rooms with plush beds and the nicest employees. They have free wine tasting in the evening, plus I think, the best location. The hotel restaurant (and room service) are great. A big plus is that the parking is in the hotel. Many of the others make you all ahead or wait 10 minutes or more while they run to some other site for the cars.

Heathman is also nice, but the rooms are pretty small, and we had some issues with billing and staff more than once. Another great location.

Benson has a classic lobby, but I found the rooms very dark and small. Noisy housekeeping too. And a little further away from the best location, but only by a couple of blocks.

Whichever you choose, book through pova.com or travelhero.com (they're the same site) for the "big deal" on many of the portland hotels. They are cancelable reservations and include free parking and breakfast.
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:37 PM

Agree to avoid the Benson. We were sold it as the closest to a luxury hotel in town - and it is not at all a pleasant place.

The rooms are small, dark,poorly decorated, dingy - of the old style masculine school which apparently assumes only men travel. There was practically no light in the bathroom, no make-up mirror, and the broken hair dryer was not replaced despite two requests.

Service was poor/abrupt and staff non-cooperative - they refused to give me late check out I needed for a red eye flight even though we had had a meeting in the hotel - taking 40 plus room for two nights - plus catering, meeting room etc.

Not a class act!
Old May 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Kal, I was waiting for that ticking
I will, however, tell the Yankee that you called him an Old Fogie
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We like the 5th Avenue, also the Vintage Plaza. The Benson is just fine provided you get it for $40 on Priceline. Haven't stayed at the Mallory for years so can't comment.

Actually we prefer the McMenamin's places (Kennedy School, Edgefield) more, but they're not especially high end.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM

I think the Vintage Plaza is lovely.

I also give a vote to the Governor Hotel (the old, original building not the new addition).
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:24 PM

25 hours and she did not scream yet? strange...

Something's wrong with your ticking, Kal
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM

My wife and I have stayed many nights in Downtown and both of us prefer the Benson to 5th Ave Suites - We always feel that 5th Ave Suites are overcharging for a "Suite" when they aren't close to what we consider a suite...We have even had the upgraded corner rooms and they weren't as nice as our room at the Bensen (a standard DD). The Embassy Suites is my Wifes choice for room size and comfort - I think that is where the modern Presidents (at least their wives) have stayed lately. We looked at the Lucia and it seems to be the nicest of downtown but it can be expensive. All in all I think all of the Hotels recomended are great and since Portland is a small enough town all are close to everything.
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Yesterday at my doctor's office I leafed through a recent edition of Travel and Leisure and found an article about the best hotels in the world in which 5th Avenue Suites was noted as one of five hotels that offer the most for the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -