Kentucky Derby

Jan 15th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Kentucky Derby

I'm planning on going to the Kentucky Derby with my brother in May. I looked at the ticket brokers and they were asking quite a bit of $$$$ for them. I did see that you could buy tickets on Derby Day at Churchill Downs from people that are trying to sell them but not over face value. . Has anyone tried this and been sucessful?
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM

When going into Churcholl downs you always see people there selling them, but usually over face value. Face value of the tickets are pretty expensive in themselves. Have you ruled out the infield?
Jan 15th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Derby tickets on Derby day?!? Are you kidding me? People pay 50x face value for seats ...

Do NOT go to Kentucky for Derby without tickets in your pocket. You'll be relegated to watching it on TV from an incredibly expensive hotel room or going to the infield.

Jan 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I know I can get Gen. Admission tickets. I read, "Kentuckey Derby tickets can be bought on the day of the race for general admission. General admission is standing room only and there are no advanced sales for this type of admission. Fortunately the Kentucky derby tickets for general admission are usually unlimited, so you don't have to worry about getting up early and standing in line if that's simply not your cup of tea."
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Where did you read that? They must mean the infield, and that is party central with scantily clad sun bathers and beer bashes (and you can't bring your own drinks). You can't imagine the line for the restrooms.
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Unless you are looking for a college kid drunk-fest, I would not recommend the infield. Unless you already have a source for tickets, you should start looking on Ebay and through other ticket sales sites, like Stubhub.
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM

As I said in my earlier reply, although tickets on site are supposed to be sold for face value, in all the years that I've been going, I've never sen anyone asking face value. As far as general admission goes, that is for the infield, which is a big party and the way you see any of the race is on large billboard size TVs set up in the infield. If you want to be in the clubhouse you just have to pay the price.
Jan 15th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Unless you want to be part of the biggest - and possibly most disgusting - frat kegger you've ever seen buy tickets now. the longer you wait the higher the prices will be.

And any sold on the spot are either for a truly outraegous price - or fake.
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM

I'm a Louisville native and I've been to the Derby a few times. I'm pretty sure it is illegal in Kentucky to scalp tickets, so you'd be buying them at your own risk if you try to buy them at Churchill Downs. The General Admission tickets allow you to get into the infield (crazy college party atmosphere in most of the infield, although there are a few areas that are a bit more reserved) as well as the paddock area. The paddock is much tamer and refined and you'll actually get to see horses if you stay there and don't go into the infield.

Honestly, if you want to have a good time and really experience the Derby atmosphere- do as the locals do and go to the Oaks the day before Derby. Even the infield is more refined on Oaks day. Then, either watch the Derby on TV or go to at Derby party if you know someone in Louisville who is hosting one.

I hope you enjoy Louisville!