SRO Tickets - Spamalot

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

SRO Tickets - Spamalot

My husband and I are travelling to NYC in a few weeks and I neglected to get Spamalot tickets when I had the chance. He still wants to go and I was wondering about Standing Room Only tickets. Does anyone have any idea about the possibility of getting these on the day of the performance and what kind of time we would need to allow?
Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:52 PM

We just saw it a week or so ago and I remember there were SRO tickets available. I have no idea how much time you would need to allow but the line for same day tickets was quite long. Great show! David Hyde Pierce and Hank Azaria spent quite some time outside at the stage door after our show too.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:56 PM

I believe they have about 20 or so SRO tickets, for $20. I understand they start selling them at 10 a.m., but that people line up before 8 a.m. Go early & bring your coffee and something to read. Have a good time!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses. Do they distribute the tickets when they open so that you can return at showtime or do you have to stay at the theatre all day? Does anyone know if they do this on the weekends as well?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Once you buy the ticket you can leave; I believe your spot on the rail is assigned. I believe they do it for all performances, but I imagine people might get in line even earlier.

People do get in line for returned tickets or other cancellations, but that's a much longer investment of time with no guarantee of anything -- but sometimes people get lucky.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Years ago, you could buy standing room and then move into empty seats. Someone told me that's no longer possible. That they do not allow you to leave the standing room rail. Just curious if that's true or not?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:16 PM

They also have obstructed view seating. I think it is completely unethical that they are selling them full price the day of show. But I bought them anyway, since we had now way of knowing our next chance to see the show. For full price you miss a great deal of the show. However it is a wonderful show, so if you're willing to take the hit.....go for it!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:13 PM

Re getting SRO tickets and moving into empty seats; I think it depends on how empty the show is and how sharp the ushers are. I have been in standing room and seen people slip into empty seats; in one case, the standing room people made their move too soon, and the actual owners of the seats arrived late to the show. In another case, the ushers pounced on them and made them go back to stand.

If a show had significant empty seats, maybe one could do it, but then they probably wouldn't be selling standing room.

I was at another show where I had rear mezz tickets; there was a big group who didn't show in the front mezz, and the ushers moved us all down to the empty seats.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:15 AM

In response to the last posting, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that standing-room-only seats are only sold when a show is sold out. So, there would never be a lot of empty seats. If there are a few empty seats, it's because of no-shows.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:24 AM

"Spamalot" is sold out into the Fall of 2005 and it has done a bigger "advance" than "The Producers" ever did.

I saw it a few weeks ago in previews and I can assure you here will not be any empty seats you can "move into."
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:52 AM
TC

I don't know if you want to spend the money....but, you might be able to get tickets through Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids.
http://store.yahoo.com/broadwaycares/caretix.html
This organization sells donated house seats for twice face value. The "second half" of the price is a charitable donation to the AIDS Foundation. They are completely on the up and up. I got great seats for Hairspray this way when it was sold out. I feel it is a much better method of buying sold out tickets than dealing with the numerous "ticket brokers" (ie scalpers) who sell tickets at double the cost. At least the extra is helping a good cause and its tax deductable.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:15 AM

The ticket availability is not as dire as Intrepid1 reported above. You can get orchestra seats for midweek performances starting in July. True, they won't be in the center, but there is summer availability.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Moving into empty seats from standing room DID refer to no shows. I know that they don't sell standing room unless a show is sold out, but I have yet to ever see a sold out show that didn't have a scattering of empty seats from people who didn't show up for a variety of reasons.
My question was do they let these people move into those seats or not? Or do they let them move into them after intermission (holding the empty seats in case the ticketholders arrive late). Just curious how that works these days.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Patrick - My experience with SRO only is that they will not let you move into empty seats and are very strict about enforcing that. I did SRO at the Neil Simon Theatre and the Eugene O'Neill Theatre so maybe other theaters are more lenient.

Robhart is also right about lining up for the tickets. We did SRO for Hairspray not too long after it opened. They were giving 9 or 10 pair of tickets and they opened the box office for those tickets at 12 noon. We got in line (with our coffee!) about 8:30 am and were 3rd in line.
So obviously only the first 9/10 people were going to get tickets and we spent the whole morning in line. Check with the Shubert Theatre to see what their policy is. I believe they are also having a lottery for some tickets. Don't know how that works.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Also, once you get your SRO tickets you are assigned a rail number. So you just come back when the show starts to your assigned spot.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Patrick, I was not responding to your comments, but to those of robhart.
In response to your question, in most situations, standees usually are not allowed into those seats until intermission...if at all.
By the way, I must respond to your comment about empty seats at sold-out shows. When we saw Billy Crystal a couple weeks ago, not only wwere there no empty seats, but every seat was filled before the curtain went up. Yes, no latecomers. That's something I've never experienced in all my years of theatergoing!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Wow that is unusual. Hard to imagine no one getting caught in traffic or at a slow restaurant for example -- two of the biggest reasons for "no shows" or "latecomers" -- and two reasons why I always like to eat after the show!

I'm not looking to do standing room, but in my younger theatre days, I had lots of friends who always bought SRO tickets and invariably moved into empty seats when the show started. I had the impresssion that is no longer possible, and it looks like that's true.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the help Fodorites. I think that we will get in line early with coffee and hand and see if we can get tickets!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Sorry - that's "coffee in hand" of course.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Howard is right re SRO tickets; the only empty seats the times that I was doing SRO were from latecomers/no shows. There was a block of people in one case who I suppose were all delayed coming on a bus together and were very late. Somebody tried to slip into those seats and got chased out by the ushers. In the other instance I mentioned where we got to move from rear mezz to front mezz, I had an actual seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO