embassy suites in portland, oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have one night in Portland after our day at the Columbia Gorge--I'm thinking of the embassy suites and need a place for dinner.
How is the location of Embassy Suites and what else should we try and fit in on a Sunday night-mid April. Thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Embassy Suites' location is fine, but you'd probably like Hotel Monaco, Vintage Plaza, or Lucia's better.

What kind of food are you looking for? The restaurant in the hotel, Portland Steak & Chop House, is middle-of-the-road safe, but not very representative of Portland's great food scene.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:40 AM

Beachbum has named some hotels with locations convenient locations I prefer to that of Embassy Suites. Wherever, you stay, it is always worthwhile to check deals at: www.travelportland.com
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:40 AM

I am also not a huge fan of that location. Not horrible, but the others mentioned are better located.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

What appeals to you about the area of the above mentioned hotels-rather than Embassy Suites...construction? cleaner?
more going on? etc......the rates are similar and I can probably get a suite at Hotel Monaco...can you tell me a bit more? Thank.
Also, is it worth going to the Japanese Garden in mid-April?
Thanks.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Hotel Monaco, Vintage Plaza, and Lucia are all closer to the heart of the city - dining & shopping - than Embassy Suites. And Embassy Suites is a little closer to Burnside, where you probably wouldn't feel comfortable walking around at night.

So, what kind of food do you like? My guess is that you'll want to go somewhere in the Pearl District.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

That's the info. I wanted. I am traveling with my college son and older mother so location is important.
Food? Very important when you only have one dinner in Portland. I like EVERYTHING, but a very different story with my mom who likes boring. Any suggestions to make us all happy? Italian might work--and some seafood.
Is there much construction around Hotel Monaco? Would that be your top choice of hotels mentioned?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Hi
I almost always agree with beachbum and it is no different here. For one night in town, stay right in downtown, in a "nice" hotel. If you can get a room at the Monaco, do so!
You will be within walking distance of downtown and the Pearl stores and restaurants, a few blocks from the streetcar which can take you to NW 234d, the Pearl, and around town.
We have stayed about 30 nights in all at the Monaco ( when it was the 5th Ave Suites) and we will be there again in April for a few nights before we leavee Oregon to our new home.
Service and location are great and they have been newly decorated..
there is construction going on in the streets and there is renovation going on in Macys as well as a hotel being built on top of Macys but when we were IN the hotel a week ago, we could not hear anything outside.
Dinner-
In the Pearl:
Fenouil
Everett Street Bistro
Silk
near the Hotel:
the restaurant connected to the hotel is the Red Star Tavern, we still go there for brunches and I meet friends there for lunch or late tea, very nice.
Mama Mias
Mothers Bistro

There are so many good places to eat, it is a matter of taste and budget.
Also try www.pova.com

Hope this helps ~
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:27 AM

lol, I was writing while you posted, laurelee.
I also want to correct my typo, that would be NW 23rd, not 234 lol.
A couple more Italian, Fratellis and Piazza Italia and Giorgios- in the Pearl district.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I have my pooper scooper out just in case any of you might need it. So far it looks like the yard is clear but you never know.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:09 AM

TTess!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:31 AM

hmmm..people in seaside or astoria might want to get theirs out too, TTess
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Lauralee, re your q on the Japanese Gdn in April - Yes, yes and yes. Height of spring in Portland. Take your camera.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Oh, great-I was afraid we might be too early to see much--we are too early for roses, right?
I got a reservation for the Hotel Monaco and a pretty decent rate AARP discount-$157 or so for a suite.
Is the restaurant in the hotel pretty good-or should we get out and eat elsewhere?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM

Oh good, yes, the Red Star Tavern is very good, that is where your room service would come from too.
I just had lunch with a friend there last week, good menu!

Glad you got the hotel booked

The trees are all blooming here already, little trees on our blocks are all white (apple trees?) and the big trees have that green haze , little flowers are popping up..so the Japanese Gardens will be breathtaking as usual.
And listen to Orcas, take your camera !
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm so excited...here in MN it is still very gray and colorless.
We hope to see the tulips in Skagit Valley also--this would be mid-April--do you think our timing will be good?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Yes, too early for roses, but not for tulips. Tulips are prettier anyway, right?

I agree with Scarlett - as usual - that Red Star will be fine for dinner. But, I urge you to come back some day when you can be a little more adventuresome in your dining choices. ;-)
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Yes-definately want to come back and will--but for the party I'm traveling with Red Star sounds good. Any other ideas for a Sunday night-could we take some form of public transportation just to get out and see the town?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Sure! You could walk five blocks up to 10th and catch the streetcar, which loops through the Pearl District, NW Portland, then back through town down to the river. Here's a map: http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/map/map_printable1.pdf. You can get off and explore wherever you want. If five blocks is too much, walk the two to Morrison and catch MAX up to 10th, then transfer to the streetcar. What time of night would you be doing this?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM

The Japanese Gardens are across from the Rose Garden. Even if it's too early for the flowers, stroll through this park anyway. There are some fine views of the city. I hope you have clear skies, and can see Mt. Hood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -