Search

portland,or hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
portland,or hotels

Anybody have any favorite hotels in or around downtown Portland?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:34 PM

I live in Portland and haven't stayed in a hotel here. But if you search for "portland" you'll find lots of hotel postings from the past!

FYI, the Hotel Vintage Plaza, 5th Avenue Suites, the Lucia, the Heathman, and the Embassy Suites all rate mention as nice Portland hotels.

Andrew
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 10:20 PM

My favorite, and also the favorite of many others here is the 5th Avenue Suites. Vintage Plaza is supposed to be similar (same chain) as 5th Ave, but I find the 5th's location a bit better.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:21 AM

We stayed at the 5th Avenue Suites the last of September for 10 days and loved it. Right in the heart of downtown..We are going back in a month or two and will stay there again.
The Vintage is also a Kimpton hotel (sister to 5th Ave) and about a block from the 5th Ave.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:11 AM

I just got an email from the 5th Ave Suites. They have a mistletoe special from Nov 14 to Dec 30..$119 for a room or $139 for a suite.

POVA.com (the Portland visitors assn) is offering $129/room, $149/suite, and includes free parking and breakfast for two. They also have specials on many other Portland hotels. Its called the Big Deal.

Reservations made under either of these specials are are cancellable.

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:54 AM

If you want to stay on the waterfront, The Riverplace Hotel is VERY nice. It has recently been remodeled and they have a new restaurant that is getting rave reviews.

We may be going to Portland in a few weeks and will definitely be staying here. We used to get in under the Romance Package that included:free valet parking, access to the athletic club, breakfast each am and champagne and strawberries delivered to your room.

I don't know if the new ownership (Larkspur) is offering this or not. My son stayed here for a couple of nights last summer and really enjoyed the property.

They upgraded his room upon arrival which was nice and the concierge was very helpful in arranging a carriage ride for them and setting up their dinner reservations. Enjoy Portland! ***kim***
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Kim...you may want to check the review in the local paper for that restaurant. It was reviewed a week or so ago and it was definitely not favorable.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:45 PM

Oh, really? I've read very favorable reviews in other papers. We've had breakfast there when it was Lucere and it was wonderful. One thing you can't debate is that it is in a gorgeous setting.

We enjoy dining out on their patio in the summer months, taking in the gorgeous river views while we eat. Also, if you're into your health routine, the athletic club down the block is top-notch.

We enjoyed their Olympic size pool and the weights were pretty decent, also. You also can make appointments for their private spa there. Very nice touch if you want your privacy while you soak in the jacuzzi or enjoy their steam room. ***kim***
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM

This is the article from the Oregonian, Friday, October 15, 2004

"Third-degree burn "
What sort of hex has been put on the restaurant at the RiverPlace Hotel?
(sorry I can't get it to underline...you'll have to cut & paste)

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/ore...0.xml#continue

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:09 PM

In September, it was nice walking on the riverfront but in the cold, I see no reason to stay down there instead of in town, so I will go back to the 5th Ave Suites
Thanks icuy for that info, I will check and see if we can get there before Jan.
I look forward to sitting by their fireplace in the evening and having our wine.
And I have ClarkLewis, Higgins and where else to go next ??
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Paleys! And don't forget to order the chocolate hazelnut souffle.

I just arranged for my daughter to back there for her birthday dinner.

I need 5000 miles before year end to retain my premiere status on hawaiian Air, so I may go in the next few weeks!

Any excuse will work for me..

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Oh, the Portland waterfront is gorgeous any time of year for me! We just bundle up in our cozy coats and gloves, maybe even with an umbrella (oh, how touristy!) and walk away!

I just ordered a rose umbrella from Let It Rain in Astoria, OR for our rainy weather we've been having here. Reminds us so much of the PNW!

Even ordered some cool frog rain boots for a friend's BD tomorrow. Yes, Paley's is very nice for dinner. Hurley's is also on my list for our upcoming trip. ***kim***
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:52 PM

That's right!! Paleys, thanks

The 5th Ave Suites provides umbrellas for it's guests..which we did not need in 10 days there!! I look forward to seeing Portland in all its misty glory
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Today it's cloudy in Portland again. Wednesday we were granted a beautiful sunny fall day - crisp and clear, and we could even see the eclipse! I did manage to get down to the waterfront to snap some pictures. Some of the trees are a beautiful red but the leaves have only begun to fall - better pictures next week if the weather cooperates!

Andrew
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Andrew, don't you have some artwork on display at the Riverplace hotel? I'd like to see it if it's still there. ***kim***
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:01 PM

During our years in Eugene and the Portland area, we were taught that a "real" Oregonian never carries an umbrella ;-) And among other things (it was quite a list), a real Oregonian can point out the exact location of at least three volcanoes even on a cloudy, day with no visibility
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:18 PM
jimjim

We've stayed in most of the good Portland hotels and our favorite is the 5th Avenue Suites. Check www.travelportland.com for deals that include parking and breakfast. Book a suite. And, though Portland is loaded with great places to eat, there is no restaurant better there than The Heathman.

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:07 PM

I was curious if the travelportland.com had better rates than POVA.com and found they are both the same site!

These are great deals, especially since you get the parking and two breakfasts (or a credit in some of the spots) thrown in free!
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:11 PM

jimjim, Yes! the Heathman was great one night that we ate in the bar..although the second night was kinda messed up. But I like being there anyway
I have to recommend the Red Starr again, in the 5th Avenue Suites.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 08:12 PM

I'm not a true Oregonian, but I know how to stay dry in the rain! LOL ***kim***

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -