Search

San Diego hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego hotels

We'll be in San Diego for a weekend in February with our two sons (20 & 23) for a family reunion. This will be our first trip to SD, so have no idea of what area to stay in. We'd like to stay around $150/rm, in an area with restaurants, nightlife, etc. We won't really have time for much sightseeing, but would love to be on or near the water (maybe spot some whales?) as well if that's possible.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 03:28 PM

We've stayed at Doubletree on the Bay, directly across the street from the cruise ports/USS Midway/Star of India/restaurants, etc...very easy location for getting around town, good parking lot...other than that, I'd stay close to the area where the reunion festivities are being held.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Sorry, actually that might be a Holiday Inn, can't bring it up in my pea-brain!!!!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Try the Embassy Suites--either La Jolla, or downtown. The downtown location is near the Gaslight district. Stayed there with my "Troop Beverly Hills" Girl Scout troop and they "sweet-talked" the limo driver into driving us to dinner.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Elizrg, your sons, and possibly you too!, would probably like the downtown/Gaslamp area. There are many restaurants, clubs and bars all within walking distance. You're not too far fopm the Embarcadero and the "Midway" aircraft carrier museum, and the Star of India. I'm not sure that you'l find anywhere in your price range, though. San Diego is expensive, but you could maybe try Priceline. Many people here use it all the time, but as I haven't, I can't really tell you more. Sorry.

The hotel across the road from the cruis ship terminal is the Holiday Inn on the Bay.

For whale spotting from shore, the best place to go is the Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma. They have telescopes for your viewing pleasure! Otherwise, there are many whale wathing boat trips.

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for the multiple typos!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 05:21 PM
TahitiTams

Hi elizrg..
Gaslamp is a great location to stay but you will have to go on Priceline to get a rate of $150 but you never know..try Expedia too..
I bet if you checked the
Hotel La Jolla, Sea Lodge Hotel or the Grande Colonial in La Jolla you might get some pretty good deals either direct or Expedia.. eat at George's at the Cove is a wonderful restaurant..I like to eat terrace level but I won't turn down the dining room either.
They have whale watching tours going on and you can see whales off the coast of La Jolla, spouting and breaching, not all the time but you can spot them.
Just being in San Diego, you will have a wonderful time!

www.hotellajolla.com
www.ljbtc.com
www.thegrandecolonial.com
www.georgesatthecove.com
www.sdhe.com

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM

We stayed at the San Diego Marriott Hotel and Marina. It was very nice- the pool area was very tropical! It was within walking distance of the Gaslamp Quarter.
I would highly recomend it!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I found this web site to be really informative and have reliable info when we went to SD.

http://www.localwally.com/

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 04:52 AM

elizrg

Try Inn at Sunset Cliffs www.innatsunsetcliffs.com This is a love little 26-room inn on the cliffs of the pacific Ocean. The views from their two balconies that overlook the ocean are beautiful. On the weekends they serve a light breakfast on this very balcony and delicious coffee every day.

Note their is no direct beach access from this little inn. We love this place and getting ready to stay with them once again over Thanksgiving because it is not so far from where one of our sons lives and makes his home.
I have always got the very best rate at this little inn by phoning them direct and asking what the rate is. Phone is 619 222-7901.

You might also check out www.sandiego.org for specials on hotels.

Your sons would probably also like Ocean Park Inn www.oceanparkinn.com located directly on the beach. In the same area but more $'s Pacific Terrace Hotel www.pacificterrace.com

All these hotels have reviews at www.tripadvisor.com

Do you have family in San Diego and do they have any suggestions as to where to stay. Please report back where you stayed and how it all worked out.

Sandy
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions! This reunion is being hosted by cousins of my mother-in-law who we've never met! They live in Rancho Bernardo, and are having a Saturday night dinner and Sunday brunch there. They did send a few hotel suggestions near where they live, but since it's our first time in SD, we thought it might be more fun to stay downtown and/or near the water. We understand it's about a 30-45 drive to Rancho Bernardo from downtown SD.

I'll post when we decide on a hotel, and will also post a trip report when we get back. Thanks again!