Search

San Diego hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Diego hotels

My wife and I will be in San Diego this June for vacation. We would like to stay in the Gaslamp area. We do not spend a lot of time at hotels, just a place to lay our heads for the night. Nothing fancy, but I could use some suggestions.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:34 PM

I don't know about the Gaslamp area hotel (none appealed to me) but we enjoyed a recent stay at the Best Western Hacienda Suites-Old Town. We loved the location and the streets surrounding the hotel. Our room was large with a high ceiling and comfortable. Check page 803 of the current AAA Guide for Southern California.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:10 PM

We were in S.D in March and also stayed at the Hacienda Suites in Old Town. It is a great location. I found them to be reasonable and a decent value for the money. Close to Downtown and other attractions. The parking is also included which you more than likely will not find downtown. In the p.m. the town is always busy, and nice for strolling around. As for downtown, the
embassy Suites, and Marriot over look a Marina, and SeaPort Village. It seems like a nice hotel to me. More than likely more $$$. Just depends what you would like. Enjoy S.D.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:16 AM

A good alternative might the hotels/motels on Cortez Hill. It's on the northern fringe of downtown with great central access to most attractions.

You'd have a decent variety to choose from (price ranges) including a comfort inn, days inn, sheraton suites, and a handful of others. easy onsite parking. 5 minutes to the zoo and balboa park. right down the hill to the convention center/gaslamp. and easy freeway access to old town, coronado, the beaches, etc.

downside is that although this area is close to much, it's just outside of the pedestrian/public trans friendly loop, so if you're not with car, consider elsewhere.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:36 AM

The Hilton is a GREAT hotel. We love staying there if the price is right.

SAN DIEGO GASLAMP HILTON
401 K STREET
SAN DIEGO CA 92101
619 231-4040
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:03 AM

My H and I just stayed downtown about a month ago and got our hotel from Priceline. We stayed at the Hyatt Manchester, a beautiful high rise adjacent to Seaport Village. Loved it. It was walking distance to everything downtown, Fifth Ave., HOrton Plaza, lots of restaurants, thearters. Then we took a pedi cab back to hotel. Highly recommend if you like to walk around downtown. We payed $70. Maybe parking too, not sure. Lovely rooms. Nice helpful concierge.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM

We live in San Diego and occasionally stay at various hotels. A fews years ago we tried the U.S. Grant, a landmark hotel next to Horton Plaza. I can't remember too much about it except for the fact that I loved the convenience.
Humphrey's on The Bay is next to Seaport Village, quite nice. Also the Marriot on The Bay was impressive.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to clarify, the only Humphrey's that I know is on Shelter Island and is nowhere near Seaport Village. It is quite a nice hotel, though.
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:55 PM

The Gaslamp Suites are on the northern edge of the Gaslamp, fairly inexpensive, no frills and within walking distance of almost everything downtown. The Marriott Marina and Hyatt Regency on both on the bay, a short walk to the Gaslamp (5-10 minutes) and much more upscale that the Gaslamp Suites.
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Barbara is right and I'm wrong about Humprey's location. I don't know what hotel I was thinking of that is next to Seaport Village, perhaps the Marriott. Humphrey's Shelter Island location is very nice, though. They also have a super restaurant with pretty view.
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Randy2,
I lived in University City/San Diego in the 70's and we went back for long summer vacations in the 80's and early 90's.
I have returned infrequently in the last decade, but have stayed @ the Hotel del Coronado, the wonderful La Valencia in La Jolla and we are spending this W/E @ the U S Grant downtown and Shelter Pointe Hot and Marina on Shelter Island.
The sites on www.tripadvisor.com will help with local plans.
M