Romantic Charleston Trip Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone-I'm new to Fodor's...anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for romantic places in Charleston on a college student's budget...My girlfriend and I am visiting a mutual friend and his wife at the Naval base (which means free accomodations! yay!) and I plan on proposing to her while we are there....We were able to come to Charleston last summer but only got to spend basically half a day in the city exploring...This time we will have much more time to look around the area-the itinerary looks something like sat-explore Charleston, Sun-Folly Beach, Monday-The Lowcountry (suggestions?) Anyways, I was hoping you guys might have suggestions on what would be some romantic locales in the city to propose-I'm considering the gazebo at the Meeting Street Park but am afraid it might be too crowded. I've also looked into the private carriage tours but they are a bit pricey for my sadly limited budget. Also, what are some good, reasonably priced restuarants in the city? Sorry this is such a rambling and long message...any help will be much appreciated!!!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:49 PM

Hi NovemberRane, maybe an odd idea, but what about proposing inside St. Michaels Church? When I was there with a friend there was no one else in St. Michaels, it is historical and it would certainly be a location you would both remember. Best wishes to you.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 01:04 AM

I think anywhere along The Battery would be nice. If you went early in the morning it would be less crowded.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:46 AM
GoTravel

Here is a free and very romantic suggestion:

Walk her to the top of the new Ravanel Bridge and propose overlooking Charleston, the Stono River, Charleston Harbor, Cooper River, Ashley River, The Atlantic Ocean, etc.

Or you could walk her out on the pier in front of the Harborview Hotel.

Or you could propose over a glass of wine sitting outside at the Fleet Landing Restaurant. It is out over the water overlooking Charleston Harbor.

Or you could call the very nice people at the Wentworth Mansion and ask them if you could borrow their cuppola and propose. It is on the fifth floor of the mansion and overlooks all of Charleson.

Or you could go to the rooftop of the Market Pavillion Hotel and propose with the above view over a glass of wine.

All of the above are very cheap or free. Let me know if you want more suggestions.

I think the bridge or Wentworth Mansion suggestions are the most romantic and are both free.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:57 AM

other romantic spots :

Angel Oak - huge (record-holding-huge) live oak tree near Folly.

On Folly, the state park at the south (west?...go right at the pier) end of the island is really cool w/ all the stark, windblown trees and driftwood.

Sermet's Corner on King is my rec. for less expensive food in downtown. Cheap but not romantic is Andolini's pizza on Wentworth.

Go to Black Market Minerals across from the market and buy her some beach jewelry (I have necklaces that set me back $2.50 there.)

I think the Wentworth mansion proposal is a great idea. You could spend your first anniversary there, assuming you are out of college and employed by then!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:41 AM
GoTravel

Litespeed, we ate at Andolini's last weekend on Friday evening. Saturday morning as we were walking by there we noticed there was a new (found actually, may have been thrown away by the homeless) sofa in the front of Andolinis. My husband said, "Look, Andolinis has expanded!"

Best pizza in Charleston.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Any of the above proposal suggestions are great!

As for restaurants, yes, Charleston has many wonderful, expensive places. Here are a few less expensive places to try that were suggested to us by our host when we were in Charleston last year: Gaulart & Maliclet Café (known as Fast and French) 98 Broad St, Hominy Grill, 207 Rutledge Ave, and I second the Andolini's suggestion - great pizza.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Guys thank you so much-your ideas and suggestions have been great...I called the Wentworth Mansion and they were able to extend the Cuppola about thirty minutes until sunset so I think that is going to be the plan of action...They were incredibly helpful even though we weren't staying there-I was very impressed. Once again, thanks so much and if anyone has more suggestions on food/attractions/sight seeing, they are welcome!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:50 AM
GoTravel

Oh you will be so thrilled with your choice! It is so romantic. You could have dinner at Andolinis (cheap food!) Pizza then walk her down the street (8 blocks or so) to the Wentworth Mansion and propose!

Wentworth Mansion knows they'll have a customer for life for helping you!

Inexpensive/Moderate Food: T-Bonz, Jestine's, Poogan's Porch.

Do a search GoTravel Charleston and you'll find an extensive trip report I wrote. Lots of free/inexpensive things we did.

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Hello NovemberRane, best wishes to you!

And do check out GoTravels report on Charleston. Thanks to her my friend and I had such a beautiful 3 day visit in Charleston.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 03:15 AM

I second the vote for a drink at the rooftop bar at Market Pavilion. My first trip to Charleston was two years ago and we had the most incredible evening up there enjoying drinks and appetizers.

We loved Charleston so much that we are getting married there at Planters Inn next month!

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement.