Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Charleston, good anniversary destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Deblynn

I have been recommended by a couple of people to consider Charleston for our 25th wedding anniversary trip. We live in Utah and have never been to the East Coast. What places are wonderful romantic places to stay, and are they on the beach? Any recommendations of where to start planning my trip would be great. Thanks

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What time of year - how long a trip. Could combine it with Savannah for a nice trip, but not June-September, unless you like really, really hot and humid.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:47 AM

Deblynn - I think Charleston would be a nice destination but as Gail pointed out - avoid June-Sept due to heat and tourists. Charleston is not on the beach - it is on a river but you are only about 15-20 minutes to the nearby beach towns (Isle of Palms,Sullivan's Island, Folley Beach). Other possible destinations...Beaufort, SC - again, not on the beach but nearby. Is your heart set on a beach town? If not, two of my favorites that I think are beautiful and romantic are Highlands, NC and Blowing Rock, NC - both in the mtns.
If you are interested in going further north there are lots of options - was in Maine this summer - Camden and Bar Harbor were very picturesque.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Hi,
We stayed in Charleston recently and we highly recommed it. There are many wonderful B&Bs there. Check online; most have web sites where you can check out each room. We stayed Zero Water Street, which was nice. Porch w/hammock overlooking the ocean and a view of Ft. Sumter. But there are many other fine places to stay too.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:14 AM
GoTravel

Actually, Charleston is on a Harbor and there are rivers that feed into Charleston Harbor.

I highly recommend spending a couple of nights in Charleston proper. The most romantic would be The Planters Inn, Wentworth Mansion, and a suite at Charleston Place.

If you want to stay at the beach, a Boardwalk Villa would be an excellent choice at Wild Dunes. Only about a 20 minute drive from the historic district.

I think Charleston would be a lovely place to spend your anniversary.