Charleston/Savannah Beach/City

Jan 26th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Charleston/Savannah Beach/City

We want to celebrate my husband's 60th in April and can't decide whether to do Charleston/Isle of Palm/Kiawah or Savannah/Hilton Head. Also, should we stay at the beach and travel to the city or stay in the city and travel to the beach or split the time. We don't want to spend $500/night for the ritzy hotels. Our budget is more like $250/night. Any ideas?
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:48 PM
GoTravel

Savannah is at least an hour drive from Hilton Head and sometimes longer depending on traffic. Tybee Island would be a much closer beach, probably 20 minutes tops.

With Charleston, Kiawah is also a good hour drive so if you want to see the city, go for Isle of Palms. Wild Dunes is very nice.

Having to pick between Charleston and Savannah (I live between the two and visit them both often), I would pick Charleston.

Charleston has superior dining, shopping, accommodations and attractions.

The architecture, gardens, and cities themselves are a dead heat.

If you can do both Savannah and Charleston and skip the beaches, you may want to do that.

Let me also say that of all the places you've mentioned, Hilton Head has the least 'southern' feel to it.

Jan 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GoTravel. If you don't mind my picking your brain some more... If we do Charleston, do you have a hotel recommendation in the mid-price range? Don't need plush but cleanliness, comfort and convenience are high on the list. As for the beach, we're mostly interested in the golf there.
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:37 PM
GoTravel

For Charleston, $250 a night can get you the Charleston Place hotel if you can catch a deal. If not, hands down the Doubletree has one of the very best locations in Charleston. You can walk everywhere. Right in the middle of the historic district.

April is peak season down here and golf prices will reflect this. The best Charleston area course is the Ocean Course at Kiawah. Be prepared for sticker shock as it will be around $300 per person for cart and greens fees.

It's worth it. The Ryder Cup was played on the Ocean Course in 1991 and I think you should surprise your husband with this for his 60th birthday present.

The other four at Kiawah are also very nice and not as expensive.

Less expensive and much closer to Charleston will be the Wild Dunes and Wild Dunes Harbour courses. I think they should run about $125 each.

There are also a bunch of other courses that aren't as expensive.

Jan 27th, 2005, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the tips. In your opinion, how does the French Quarter Inn compare to the Doubletree?
Jan 27th, 2005, 06:50 AM

I haven't stayed at the French Quarter, but a friend and his wife were there last weekend. He said it was a nice place with wine and cheese in the afternoon, a computer room and nice bedrooms. It's very near the market, which is the center of things in Charleston. The Vendue Inn is at the other end of the market and nearer the water, but farther from the antique shops on King Street. The Ocean Course at Kiawah is very expensive and very difficult, but a must-do for the serious golfer -- particularly one who remembers the "war by the shore" Ryder Cup matches of 1991. The other Kiawah courses are very nice as well, but closer and probably less expensive are the two courses at Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms, and either are wonderful courses.
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:04 AM

I like to stay on the beach and visit Charleston. You're only talking 20 minutes or so to drive in. Unless you get one hell of a nice in-town view, nothing beats waking up to the sunrise over a glassy morning ocean, a beach walk to get you started for the day while you watch the porpoises glide by.

Unless you like to drink alot w/ dinner and don't want to drive afterwards...in that case I'd stay downtown ;-)

April will be busy, especially the first weekend.
Jan 27th, 2005, 07:49 PM

We stayed at the French Quarter Inn last summer (got a good deal on Travelocity -- I think it was in the 200 range) and had a great experience. We had the least expensive room and it was still great. Lots of little perks (the wine, the cookies) and a great location. Highly recommended.
Jan 28th, 2005, 09:11 AM
GoTravel

We are staying at the Pickney next weekend and I'll let you know how it is.

Jan 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I'll let you know the results!
Jan 30th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

For anyone interested... we decided to start our stay with 3 nights at the boardwalk Inn on Isle of Palms and then spend 3 more nights at the Doubletree in the historic district of Charleston. I'll report on our experience when we get back 4/10. Thanks for all your help.