Reload this Page >

Savannah or Charleston and what to eat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Carole

which city would you recommend for 1 day visit - to see historic buildings and The Old South ( known only to this Canuck from Hollywood). Also, what would be the "quintessential" Georgian meal? (i only know about peach pie - hopefully seafood rather than steak

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:18 PM
xxx

First of all, Charleston ain't Georgia. What to eat? Soft Shell Crab, Shrimp and Grits, Fried anything (including veggies).

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Read

Carole didn't say that Charleston was in Georgia.
She asked separate questions and you inferred they were interdependent.
Your bad, xxx.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Trish

My first choice by far would be Charleston. We spent several days in each Charleston and Savannah last year and Charleston is a wonderful city! You can walk everywhere - make sure and take a city walk tour-beautiful homes and gardens, history and wonderful people and restaurants.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:40 PM
CECE

Charleston. You can go to a plantation, a swamp, a holocaust memorial, a university, etc., etc. in one day. Savannah has a small area which is nice, but the rest is sad and poor.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:04 PM
L

Oh good grief

I fell in love with Savannah, took one day to go to Charleston, and wished I never left Savannah. Read the book, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Eval. Savannah has alot of history. The only town sparred in the civil war because of its beauty. It was developed by a wonderful planner, with 21 squares. It has wonderful 'Savannah Walks' tours. And for eating, Mrs. Wilkes on Jones street. Ok, it is not seafood, but good for lunch. A real southern experience.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:04 AM
carole

thanks for the help! please excuse this ignorant Canuck - i thought Charleston was in Georgia!! hell i think ill go to both places and soft shell crab it is