First visit to Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Charleston and Savannah in July and will be taking our granddaughters with us...age 9 and 11. Have looked at staying 3 nights in Charleston and 2 in Savannah. Would love some ideas on what to do and am thinking of staying at Planters Inn or French Quarter Inn or Harbor View inn. Would love iterniary suggestions and best place to stay...
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 09:08 AM

This is a terrible time to go to Charleston or Savannah unless it is the only time you can go, in which it is a great time to go. Any time is great to be in Charleston or Savannah.

It will be really hot and humid. Wiltingly hot and humid. The girls probably won't notice, but it will be hard on grandma and grandpa unless you are from central Florida or Mississippi.

My granddaughters would be thrilled by carriage rides. They would like one of the harbor cruises in Charleston. They would like to see one (1) historic house in Charleston, and they would be thrilled in Savannah to visit the home of Juliet Lowe, the founder of the Girl Scouts. They would like eating family style lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House in Savannah. I think your granddaughters might like one of the plantations near Charleston. Both cities have easy access to beaches if you wanted to get out of town for some sun and sand.

How are you getting to and from the cities? It is not just a few miles, but if you go on US 17, you will see Beautiful Beaufort and lots of low country on the way. If you take I 95, you will see lots of trucks.

There are real authorities on these places here, and I know you will hear from them soon. I am just waiting for the Opera to start on PBS!
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 09:09 AM

You might want to take a look at my trip report covering our short week's stay in these cities; click on my name to find it.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM

There are probably at least a hundred threads (I usually say "a jillion") threads about Charleston on this forum. Maybe take a look at some of them, make a list, and then ask questions? Reinventing the wheel.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 12:26 PM

If I had the time and money and wanted to entertain a nine and twelve year old, I would rent a place on Isle of Palms for a week. You get the beach but are fifteen minutes from Charleston. You could sightsee when it is cooler and then take a splash in the ocean when it is too hot to walk around the cobblestone streets.

Wild Dunes has nice condo units. They are pricey but so are hotel rooms in historic Charleston.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 04:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Planters Inn in Savannah and it was very good. Also, it's right on Reynolds Sq and next door to the Olde Pink House restaurant.

In Charleston we stayed at the Andrew Pinkney and it too was very good. Breakfast on the rooftop.

As Ackislander wrote it will be hot. We were there at the end of April and start of May.

In Charleston we kept going into historic houses to get out of the sun. And we live in South Florida.

Also, when walking down at the bottom of the pennisnsula, make sure you have water and snacks. There are no restaurants, snak bars or stores south of Broad.

Having said all that, both cities have beautiful historic areas.

Make sure you arrange to see a couple of plantations. We went to Middleton Place and Drayton Hall. They're near each other and quite a contrast.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 04:52 AM

Regarding the Charleston portion of your visit, the above mentioned suggestions are very good, especially the carriage ride.

History is a big part of any visit to Charleston. Based on what our grandson liked during a recent visit with us, I would add the following.

A boat ride over to Fort Sumter (cool and refreshing on a hot summer day and full of history with Park Service Narration)

http://www.nps.gov/fosu/index.htm

A visit to the Old exchange Building and Provost Dungeon (especially the dungeon part)

http://oldexchange.org/

A visit to the Old Slave Mart (honest and compelling history)

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/charleston/osm.htm

A visit to the South Carolina Aquarium (inside and cool and loaded with information about SC marine life)

http://scaquarium.org/default.aspx

I think a visit to one of the plantations would work but only in the mornings. Most afternoons would be too hot for strolling the grounds, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.