Charleston, SC in October

Aug 20th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Charleston, SC in October

My husband is returning from Iraq in October and would like to take a romantic trip to Charleston. We really like upscale B&Bs and small historic hotels. Also could use recommendations for meals--we eat anything and as long as it is excellent food, money is no option!
Aug 20th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Charleston is wonderful. The Andrew Pickney Inn is perfect for what you say you would like. Please eat at SNOBS (Slightly North of Broad Street) and The Magnolia and Justines - fabulous! King St has great shopping and take the harbor boat trip, too, and a carriage ride and go to one of the plantations. Thank your husband for his service to our country for me and I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Aug 20th, 2005, 10:02 AM

For this special occasion DO try to book Two Meeting Street--the cream of the cream. Good luck.
Aug 20th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Without a doubt, Two Meeting Street Inn is the place you want to stay. Call them TODAY to book. Be sure to tell them about your husband's return...may do a little something extra for you.

As for dinner, I would recommend the Peninsula Grill...perfect place for a romantic dinner. You may want to go by the rooftop bar at the Market Pavillion hotel (corner of East Bay and South Market) for drinks...great view of the city especially at night.

SNOB is good but I tend to like it more for lunch as opposed to a romantic dinner...always seems loud to me.

Magnolia's, Cypress and Blossom are nice but a bit overrated IMHO. Jestine's is tasty but definitely not the place for a truly special dinner...but do try to swing by there for lunch.

For a good seafood dinner and a nice restaurant (but not romantic), check out Hank's on Hayne St.

Tristan's and Club Habana are great for drinks...Club Habana is also a cigar bar.

Enjoy your visit and many thanks to you and your husband for all you do for the US and the World!
Aug 20th, 2005, 03:40 PM

2 Meeting Street is the place you want to stay as others suggested. Get a copy of this month's" National Geographic Traveler" which has am article giving suggestions and information about Charleston.
I always enjoy Poogan's Porch for lunch upstairs. Rue de Jean is a neat restaurant we found in May after being in Charleston over many years. It is mentioned in the magazine.
I have traveled many countries and live in Myrtle Beach and still to me there is no city as charming as Charleston. Enjoy your time with your husband as it is a real treat for both of you.
Many thanks to your husband for his service to our country.
Aug 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Daffy, I know you must be over the moon to have him coming home. What a perfect place to celebrate. Please add my thanks to him for service to our country.
Aug 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Adding my thanks to your dear husband too.

In just a few weeks I will be married in Charleston. The ceremony will be in the courtyard and we are staying at Planters Inn. We have one of the penthouse king rooms. There are only 2 of them and they were just added in the last year or two. They are the only rooms there with private balconies.

Just another idea if Two Meeting Street isn't available.
Sep 1st, 2005, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your kind words and replies on these wonderful places in Charleston. I will see what we can get!
Sep 1st, 2005, 09:49 PM

Dear Daffy, I just saw your thread. I was in Charleston for the first time this last April. Every meal was wonderful but I especially remember the dinner at SNOB.

May I add my thanks to you and your dear husband. His service to his country is so appreciated and the sacrifice you have gone through is appreciated also. I know about this having lots of family member that were and are in the military.

My best wishes for a very special time in Charleston. May you both always be safe and secure.
Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:43 AM

I'm coordinating a Girls Trip for Charleston and the trip report that GoTravel posted earlier this year is fantastic. Be sure to search for it and read it -- I learned so much! From Fodor's home page, search for Charleston and it'll pop up (at least it did this morning). What a wonderful thing for your husband to look forward to!
Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
GoTravel

Thank you for the kind words formerfreqflyer.

Daffy, I don't know how I missed this post but for money no object accommodations, my pick would be the Wentworth Mansion. Also, their restaurant Circa 1886 is one of the city's most celebrated and award winning restaurants.