Charleston Tristan's--anyone been?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prices are not for the faint of heart or pocketbook!! Just interested.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Gretchen: tell me what you have heard - any reviews? my ladies group is heading to Charleston SC in October - and while we have most of our reservations, is this a place we should consider for one of our meals?
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:29 AM

Hi

Yes, I have been to Tristan's (March 2007). Upscale, expensive, nouveau cuisine. Charleston has so many wonderful restaurants. I really do nt like the location of this restaurant.
There is an excellant restaurant that is located in near the waterfront-not far from Market Pavillon Hotel. Name - I can't remember-begins with an "M"-sounds like someone's last name....very old building. Gorgeous formal dining in the upper levels. Bar is the odlest in the city (I think...)
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:32 AM

Classic, could it be McGrady's?

escargot, I don't know if it is on your list, but my favorite dinner or lunch place is Magnollia's. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

No, haven't been there nor heard of it, which is pretty unusual. It better be good--a bit over the top expensive if not. Our kids LOVED Circa 1886 in the Wentworth House for a very special dinner. As has been said, so many good places to eat.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:16 AM

So far we have reservations for the following:
Dinners at SNOB, Figs, Peninsula Grill and Blossom
Lunch at Magnolia's and Blossom
Brunch at Poogans Porch -

It is SO hard to decide. Clearly you could eat your way through Charleston, which as you can see from the above, is close to what we are planning on doing

I had not seen Tristans on the radar, and so I was wondering if we should knock something out and replace it with Tristans -

or this McGrady's???

Everyone is fairly easy going but whoever is 'in charge' of one part (hotels, restaurants, etc) runs it by the rest for choices - wondering if I should put this one out there (or McGradys) or let it sit the way it is .... any opinions welcome !
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 06:17 AM

OOPS, sorry, that Blossom one is a dinner, only lunch rezzie is for Magnolia -
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 07:35 AM

I didn't like McGrady's, escargot, I just mentioned it in case that was the place about which Classic was posting. I found the food ordinary and teh service annoyingly affected. I love Magnolia's, Peninsula Grill, Anson's, and Hominy Grill (great breakfast). Have a blast there! Between eating and shoe shops what is a girl to do??
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
dmlove

Between eating and shoe shops what is a girl to do??

We also really enjoyed our dinner at Magnolia's. and in addition to shoe shops, there is a fabulous kitchen wares shop on the main drag (can't recall the name) along with a really nice non-chain coffee house (can't recall the name of that either, sorry).

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks -
I was in Charleston once before with my husband on business, and only had one full day to myself and little other time - but it was great and I am trying to eat in different places- except a few I must eat in one more time.....
I did do lots of shoe shopping the last time and will repeat that, but hope to add some more historical homes/tours/plantation this time around-

thanks I will keep my eyes open for the kitchen store - two big "cookers" coming who will love that - and the coffee shop too - thanks.

cmfong I saw something recently on here about Hominy Grill, I think it is on our list for breakfast but for some reason think they didn't take rezzies and someone was saying we'd get in line with our coffee and paper and wait ! sounds good to me.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM

I think you will enjoy Hominy. If you are interested in a tour, consider Gullah Tours. Quite a different insight than offered on the traditional tours.

Gretchen, sorry about the derailment of your thread. I didn't mean to do it.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Thanks Cmfong, when I get the entire itiinerary done, I was going to put it up for help tweaking it - I found Gullah on line, - it looks awesome thank you! I am emailing to the girls now -
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM

sorry too Gretchen !
Still looking for others who have eated at Tristans !!
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

I think the chef left McGrady's for Chicago a while back so they may still be trying to trade on the old chef.