Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Myrtle Beach & Charleston Advice Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in Myrtle Beach for a week the last of April. One day we will probably go to Charleston. What should we try to do in one day in Charleston? Are there any self guided tours? Would a walking or carriage tour be better? Would Fort Sumter be "doable"? Also, where is a good, reasonable place for lunch?

About Myrtle Beach, would you recommend some restaurants? Last year we ate at Flamingo's and Sea Captain's House and really enjoyed both places. What are some of your favorite restaurants? Also, where do you find a good, reasonable place for breakfast? I will thank you in advance for information!
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM

We haven't been to Charleston, but are hoping to visit soon. Following is a website I found that might be helpful for you:

http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com...harleston.aspx
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Charleston is a great place for a day visit. If this is your first trip, I would suggest a carriage ride that will give you an idea of the layout of the city, as well as historic background. Then you can revisit areas and sites of particular interest. There are many good restaurants in downtown Charleston, some of them pricey. If you like seafood, the Noisy Oyster and Hyman's are reasonable and good. Both are located not far from the Charleston City Market, where you pick up the carriage rides.

The launch for the Fort Sumter is on the north side of Charleston, at the Patriot's Point Naval and Maritime Museum. The whole complex is very interesting and worthy of a day's visit.

There are also several plantations in the Charleston area, such as Middleton, that are fun to visit.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Charleston is one of my favorite cities. I love Fort Sumter and have been three times, but if I only had one day in the city, I don't know that I would attempt to coordinate everything around the boat schedule. The Fort Sumter trip will take up about 2.5 hours of your day, so it is doable, but personally, if it were my first visit, I would spend the time in downtown Charleston.

I think a carriage tour would be a nice way for you to get an overview of the city, but my favorite thing to do is just WALK! There is so much to see and April is a gorgeous time of year to be there. If it were me, I would walk down Meeting St. to White Point Gardens and the Battery. Then I would walk back up East Bay, detour down Vendue Range to the fountain and Waterfront Park and take in the view of the Yorktown or sit and rest in one of the swings. Then I would head back toward Market St. and spend some time prowling through the stalls of all the vendors in the Market. After that, I would head someplace for lunch, then spend some time shopping on King St. I could literally spend all day walking around the historic district. It is just lovely and there are so many beautiful homes and buildings. You could also tour one or more of the houses. My favorite two are the Aiken-Rhett House and the Nathaniel Russell House. Anyway, I hope that gives you a couple of ideas! Have a great trip. We go back in June (to Sullivan's Island) and I'm already counting down the days!
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 04:25 PM

I suggest taking advantage of your Charleston visit by starting out early. I would also start the day with a carriage ride, as suggested by others, followed perhaps by a walk along Waterfront Park (view the river,Ft.Sumter,sit in swings), walk past old homes (take home tours),shop with Market vendors (sweetgrass baskets/local craft), end the day with a drink atop the Pavillion Bar, overlooking the city.
There are lots of restaurants to have lunch at - be sure to take back a box of Pralines from River Street Sweets!!!
In MB area, try having dinner at Murrells Inlet - several excellent restaurants in a peaceful, marshland setting, not too far from MB.
We also very much enjoyed Huntington Beach State Park, if you're inclined to spending a day at the beach in a nature setting (3 miles of undeveloped beach, with modern facilities available).
Have fun!
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 05:28 AM

On your way back to Myrtle Beach from Charleston on Hwy 17 (in Awendaw, SC) is one of the BEST restaurants around- The SEEWEE-http://seeweerestaurant.com/ I believe I've had everything on the menu and it is fabulous- fresh, right out of the water seafood- excellent home-made vegetables, and to-die-for hushpuppies. A trip to the coast is never complete without a stop at the SEEWEE (be careful- it looks like an old gas station/hole-in-the-wall on the side of 17 and you might just pass it, flip a U-Turn and come on back to it- it will be well worth it).
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM

If you liked Flamingo and Sea Captain's House, here are a few other places I'd recommend, kind of in descending order as to fancy v. casual:

Thoroughbreds
Aspen Grill
Liberty Taproom
Ciao (best Italian on the beach)
Martins (it's in a hotel on the north end, but the chef is great)
Phillips (the restaurant is fine, but the real gem is the little seafood market and cafe to the left as you enter--everything there is great and reasonably priced)
River City Cafe (for decadent sandwiches, including a blackened grouper rueben)
E Noodles (great asian/dim sum)
P.F. Changs (opens this Thursday)

There's more but that should get you started.

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM

If you're at Barefoot Landing, eat at Umbertos, it's italian and served in courses. Very good. Cagney's is good, Benny Rappa's North Myrtle and Frank's if you are coming back from Charleston, it's by Muriel's Inlet or Litchfield area.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great information! I will definitely try some of the restaurants. I noticed that we will be in Myrtle Beach the same week that they have the shag(the dance not the Austin Powers definition)"convention". Do any of you know anything about it? I don't know how to do the shag but I would love to watch.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM

The Shag is the native dance of the Carolinas. Even though it originates from the 30's (from swing dance and jitterbug), all generations in these parts know how to shag and beach music (tams, drifters, chairmen of the board- not beach boys) can be heard coming out of most of the hot-spots on the coast... even your trendiest/young clubs will take a moment to play Carolina girls... OD (ocean drive) in North Myrtle Beach is probably the most famous part of the beach for shagging (check out Fat Harolds and Ducks), but during S.O.S. (society of stranders- the "shag convention") you could hit up just about anywhere to spot people shagging. Many places may also offer some beginner "lessons" early in the evening for new comers... it's an easy dance to pick up (I say that knowing I learned how to shag standing on-top of my daddy's feet when I was knee-high to a grass hopper). Just get out there and dance- it will be fun!
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
iceeu2

Check out this website for where shagging is going on in NMB, primarily at OD. A couple of Sundays ago, we went to Harold's on the Ocean. They had a live band and lots of dancing going on.

Oops....here's the site

oceandrivehappens.com

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM

For just one day in Charleston I'd take a carriage ride first thing. They're located next to the city market, so I'd stroll through that when done. Then I'd spend the rest of the day walking thru town, particularly down E. Bay past Rainbow Row, down to the Battery. You'd probably also enjoy a tour of the Edmonston-Alston house, which overlooks the water. For lunch I'd go with Poogans Porch on Queen Street, moderately priced and very "Charleston."

Our family enjoys Bennetts Calabash and Capt. Benjamins seafood buffets in MB ... all you can eat including crab legs. But for really good seafood we always head down to Murrells Inlet, at Lee's Inlet Kitchen. A great place for lunch is River City Cafe ... best burgers around. And Akel's Pancake House for breakfast. Have fun!