Charleston, SC + Savannah, GA Must-See???

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charleston, SC + Savannah, GA Must-See???

Hi Fodorites,
It's our first time to the "South" and we would love your help! We're going to be in Charleston and Savannah for one night each: 6pm to lunch the next day in Charleston and then 3 pm to lunch the following day in Savannah.
There are so many recommendations in the forums and we're somewhat confused, what must we see???
(For reference, we are a young energetic couple and want to do and see as much as we can in the time that we have).
Thanks in advance for all you help!
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 05:22 AM

You don't have much time in either locale. For Charleston, I'd suggest just "walking." Walking along the Battery; view the homes of Rainbow Row; walk and window shop along King Street. Head to the Market. You really don't have enough time to tour major sites. Stick with getting an overview of the area.

The next trip to Charleston will have to be longer We've been visiting the area for ten years and my list of things to do and see is still way too long.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Wow! That is just not enough time to see my favorite city! BUT.....since that's all you have...I agree with the previous poster who says "just walk". You can get a lot of the flavor of Charleston by walking. My favorite walk goes down Meeting St. to the Battery and then back up East Bay to the Waterfront Park. Then I like to prowl through the Market and stroll up and down King St. and do a little (window) shopping. You might do a carriage ride, and I think you have time to tour at least one of the historic homes in the downtown area. Most tours only last 30 minutes or so. My favorites are the Aiken-Rhett house and the Nathaniel Russell house.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Agreed with the above posters that this isn't much time in either city. The walking around idea is good for now -- if you return, I'd suggest about 2 days minimum in Savannah and 3 days minimum for Charleston. Doing some research on attractions for both is also recommended.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Also agree to make the most of your time just walking - thru the Old Market, down to the waterfront, along the Battery.
In the evening you could go to the rooftop Pavillion Bar for drinks/delicious appetizers/excellent view of the harbor.
Pick up some fresh, warm pralines at River Street sweets along Old Market area to take with you - you won't reget it!!!
If you have time, take a carriage ride for a overview of different areas of the city...Enjoy!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:12 AM

I agree -- walk and explore and eat!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks! Just thought I'd let you know we were there this weekend as part of a drive down from MA to FL and it was wonderful! We actually got up at 5 am so that we could get into Charleston a bit earlier and had time to take a carriage ride and walk around the first evening. Second morning we went to Boone Hall Plantation, lunched and then drove to Savannah. We met a guy through couch-surfing who gave us a walking tour of Savannah and we loved it! So thanks again for all the input...and hopefully we can make it back someday.